Maya 2013 - Baking AO optimize for multiple objects bug?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Maya 2013 - Baking AO optimize for multiple objects bug?

Hello!

For the last few hours, I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to bake an AO map for a character. To give you a bit of context on what I'm baking, it's a 1400 tris character, getting details from a 2,5 mil sculpt, with 256 samples and a 2kx2k map - Not a particularly heavy operation, as far as what Maya should be able to handle. And indeed it managed to produce both color and normal maps just fine.

The problem is this: AO baking with optimization set to single object works. It doesn't take long and comes out alright. The texture it produces however is virtually unusable without some heavy manual repairwork, due to the fact that it doesn't add any edge padding around the UV shells, but instead undersamples the them so that you end up with a dark outline around each UV shell. This is what I've gathered from reading up on it - To get edge padding (texture seam fill, I believe it's called in the Transfer Maps interface) you have to set optimization for multiple objects.

Now, when setting the optimization to multiple objects, I get a whole new problem. Sometimes Maya just locks up completely.
While working on my stationary computer, I had my laptop chugging away at this bake last night. After 4 hours, it was still sitting at 0% progress, and had a pretty constant cpu usage of 25% (i.e. using one core instead of all four), it hadn't even created an image file in the designated directory.

At other times, it works... Somewhat. I do get a file these times... But it's cut off after being about 10% done. The bottom 10% of the map is rendered, the rest is just black. And Maya is acting peculiar during these times as well. The bottom of Maya shows the render bar sitting on 0% ("Calculating... Press the ESC key to interrupt calculation") right until it finishes. No visible sign of progress except that when it thinks it's done, the script thingie says "2 maps baked, 0 failed".

So, what could be going wrong that makes this happen for me?

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread