Maya2014 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #31
Originally Posted by mustique: ... Or there's some mysterious thing going on there.

after the Pixar presentation this week.. i believe they're working to integrate Open Subdiv,.. perhaps that's the deal.

Old 04 April 2013   #32
I'll calmly say "shut up & take my money" the day that happens.

Old 04 April 2013   #33
Anyone know if they fixed the heat weighting? It worked perfectly when it was PM_Heatweight.

Edit...

Nevermind.... it actually seems to be working pretty well in Maya 2013.5

Last edited by refract : 04 April 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #34
Originally Posted by Mrguy: Even in 2013 Maya can only color correct textures. When you use a procedural color it does not color correct it. Pretty stupid IMO but it's always been like that ever sense they implemented that linear workflow check box.

Since I 95% rely on 3D procedural textures in my line of work, this is what's screwed with my head and made me think maya's linear workflow is broken. I still use good old gamma nodes everywhere.

Old 04 April 2013   #35
I just installed 2014 and i encountered this issue, I'm hoping anyone had seen this and knows what could that be?

I start 2014 and the icon for the modelling toolkit is there, I just can't press it, it gives an error, if i go to the edit mesh menu, there's just 1 entry in there, nothing else! saying: modelling toolkit, but when i click it doesnt work..also whenever i right click on a geometry, the right click menu won't appear....any ideas what could that be? is really weird...

cheers!

Old 04 April 2013   #36
Originally Posted by sentry66: Since I 95% rely on 3D procedural textures in my line of work, this is what's screwed with my head and made me think maya's linear workflow is broken. I still use good old gamma nodes everywhere.

Excuse my ignorance (animator/rigger here just getting into rendering recently), but can you clarify a question about LWF in Maya - do you just plug gamma nodes in between every color swatch and image texture file and then render out with the 'Enable Color Management' switched off? Does that then result in passes you can interpret as linear in AE or other compositors?

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #37
Originally Posted by metamesh: I just installed 2014 and i encountered this issue, I'm hoping anyone had seen this and knows what could that be?

I start 2014 and the icon for the modelling toolkit is there, I just can't press it, it gives an error, if i go to the edit mesh menu, there's just 1 entry in there, nothing else! saying: modelling toolkit, but when i click it doesnt work..also whenever i right click on a geometry, the right click menu won't appear....any ideas what could that be? is really weird...

cheers!

It's a plugin, not actually in Maya so check that it the mll file is loaded?

Old 04 April 2013   #38
Originally Posted by metamesh: I just installed 2014 and i encountered this issue, I'm hoping anyone had seen this and knows what could that be?

cheers!

Have you customized Maya's scripts at all? e.g. could there be a couple scripts in your prefs/scripts folder?

How about errors in the script editor and/or the output window?

Old 04 April 2013   #39
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Excuse my ignorance (animator/rigger here just getting into rendering recently), but can you clarify a question about LWF in Maya - do you just plug gamma nodes in between every color swatch and image texture file and then render out with the 'Enable Color Management' switched off? Does that then result in passes you can interpret as linear in AE or other compositors?

Cheers,
Brian

What you're supposed to have a gamma node after every single texture so when you mix them, they mix linearly correct.

In my case (look at my avatar icon), I don't feel like adding a billion gamma nodes and retweaking all my existing shaders. So what I do is not technically 100% correct in that I just have all my complex procedurals connect to each other doing their thing and then at the last second before the shader I have a gamma correct node set to .454545. I figure the mixing doesn't need to be linear if you get the look you're after anyway.

If procedurals started offering gamma correction, I'd start using it for all my future shaders.

Old 04 April 2013   #40
Thanks, good to know. I guess you do leave that 'Enable Color Management' render option off so (if I understand correctly that option is supposed to do away with the need for gamma nodes but right now it's buggy so to be avoided?

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #41
yeah I just leave it off since I'm doing all the work myself

Old 04 April 2013   #42
Bullet collisions still not complete.

I really thought that the Bullet integration would be more polished by now. The following was reported when Bullet was first integrated in 2013.

Create two spheres. Make one Kinematic, and the other Dynamic. Place the Dynamic sphere above the Kinematic sphere so that when you press play, it falls onto the Kinematic sphere.

Notice it doesn't roll because the Collider Shape Types are set to box. Set the Dynamic sphere's collision type to mesh, and it still will collide, just not accurately. However, set the Kinematic sphere's collision to mesh also. This kills the simulation. The Dynamic sphere simply fails to collide.

A Dynamic mesh collider shape and a Kinematic mesh collider shape will not collide in any of the simple tests I've made. Moreover, even using the Kinematic shape in mesh mode is very inaccurate and unusable even when using standard dynamic collision shapes like box or sphere.

Old 04 April 2013   #43
Last I heard, Bullet is developed by AMD so it gets crap support like any other 3rd party plugin. It's basically unusable for me in 2014 and was the same in 2013.5 and 2013 SP2 so I have to use Fracture FX's Bullet plug-in even just for basic dynamics sims since it actually works. It's one of the reasons I'm learning Houdini Bullet integration and deep destruction tools and good support of both.

Old 04 April 2013   #44
Another thing I found to be very strange, this time is batch rendering.
It almost put my monitor on a ballistic path

Made a bat file, to render the image. It complains with something "Maya exited with status 209". And advises me to check the file name. I check it. I double/triple check it, same thing.

The content of the bat was something like
render -proj "D:/something/something" "darkside.ma"
I messed around with the slashes, quotations, everything, nothing worked, with a bat file working quite well in 2013.
then i used the -proj flag to set the project folder, but then I gave the full path to the file. Works now, but I have no freaking idea what is so messed up, or why did dey changed it.

Old 04 April 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Thanks, good to know. I guess you do leave that 'Enable Color Management' render option off so (if I understand correctly that option is supposed to do away with the need for gamma nodes but right now it's buggy so to be avoided?

Cheers,
Brian

i dont use mental ray much but when i do i use this workflow which gives me very nice results for LWF...im no expert but i havent found it buggy at all

i turn on color management then i make defaut input profile linear sRGB and output profile to sRGB. i was using a script called jjj_gamma tools to auto add the gamma nodes and is till use it sometimes but it makes it impossible to see your textures in the viewport which is annoying. so when im using a file texture i turn on color profile on the texture itself and select sRGB and i seem to get the same result as the gamma node...but it only works for file textures...is if im making a reflective checkered kitchen floor i revert to the gamma node.

i went down the LWF path 2 years ago and it has totally made everything look better. you dont want to skip it. i use renderman studio and the process is pretty similar there too

Thread Closed share thread