Maya2014 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
According to this acticle they added quite a few improvements from the mayafeedback site and they claim to fix the problem with the interactive spit tool of not working on more complex shapes, personally i havent tested that but if it still doesn't work we also have the multi cut tool now
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory...ng-things-forum

Old 04 April 2013   #17
Speaking of your requrest for container.

You could log an item here.
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...x-in-maya-forum

This will make Autodesk pay more attention on you wish list.

Actually, there are 30s items fixed in Maya 2014.
See:
http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/fo...m/status/699758

Old 04 April 2013   #18
Not working: description of the download files.
What does the 11MB vs 2GB file do?
How hard would it be to add descriptions to the download page?
Attached Images
File Type: png MayaDownloadGrab.png (8.3 KB, 45 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #19
Originally Posted by EightBit: Not working: description of the download files.
What does the 11MB vs 2GB file do?
How hard would it be to add descriptions to the download page?

They are the same. the "Install Now" file is a smaller web installer that will take care of downloading the rest as it needs.

Old 04 April 2013   #20
I can't figure out if the linear workflow is designed this way, or is messed up.
In maya 2013 there was no need to use gamma nodes, it worked well without them, if you ticked "enable color management" in the render settings.

Now...I don't know, what's going on.
In 2014 the file textures seem to work fine, but a procedural(a checker) got washed out.

Last edited by Leionaaad : 04 April 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Originally Posted by blade33ru: another thing that isnt working is subdivision surfaces.

i only use them for conversion from polys to nurbs...but i was surprised with what i found

Hmmm....seems to me that SubD's are being killed off?

They aren't available in Maya 2014's create menu anymore and the help files have been archived:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...linkID=10809894

Old 04 April 2013   #22
I dont like the fact that now when u make and object template it doesn't become transparent as it has always been, why would anyone use this since reference does the same thing.
Correction i found the setting that changes back to the original(Display/Shade templates off).

Old 04 April 2013   #23
unfortunately I also have that issue where the procedural textures are pixilated and blurred out for no reason.In every new release of maya feels like the new looks should have been presented ages ago as standard tools and not be called new feature.You can even use curve as max users do.i wish maya was like that.

Originally Posted by Leionaaad: I can't figure out if the linear workflow is designed this way, or is messed up.
In maya 2013 there was no need to use gamma nodes, it worked well without them, if you ticked "enable color management" in the render settings.

In 2014 the file textures seem to work fine, but a procedural(a checker) got washed out.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
I am not sure if this qualifies as "does not work" but I am pretty bummed out
about the fact that if I save a maya file in 2014 its no longer backwards
compatible, since it saves it as 64bit maya binary. Once its saved in that format, I was not able to save it as .ma or open those files in <maya2014
anymore :-/

Old 04 April 2013   #25
well , that seems to be the downside , but from now on , you can save files , bigger than 2GB .
and actually .... "downward-compatible" : that never worked before, if you ask me

( but I did not install 2014 yet .... )

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Originally Posted by nsimagine: I am not sure if this qualifies as "does not work" but I am pretty bummed out
compatible, since it saves it as 64bit maya binary. Once its saved in that format, I was not able to save it as .ma or open those files in <maya2014

This is absolutely not a "does not work". Its a big improvement. Just 2 month ago, I had tremendous problems rendering at rebus, because they only allow you to send maya binary files and my files were actually about 3.5 gb in size.

Old 04 April 2013   #27
Originally Posted by nsimagine: I am not sure if this qualifies as "does not work" but I am pretty bummed out

You can still use the .ma files if you want and should be able to write out an .ma file from the .mb file loaded in Maya (unknown nodes obviously need to be purged of course). In order to support our customers needs for larger scene sizes we had to break the binary file and revamp it to allow support for files > 2gb.

Old 04 April 2013   #28
Originally Posted by Leionaaad: I can't figure out if the linear workflow is designed this way, or is messed up.

Even in 2013 Maya can only color correct textures. When you use a procedural color it does not color correct it. Pretty stupid IMO but it's always been like that ever sense they implemented that linear workflow check box.

Old 04 April 2013   #29
Sorry Posted in wrong area it seams :\

Old 04 April 2013   #30
From the short time I've spend with the trial there seems not much changed with the LWF. The framebuffer defaults have changed, which is a good thing. The new defaults and unified sampling things in MR are good. Modelling toolkit looks nice for retopo.

Subdivision Surfaces are gone. They were obsolete anyway so no loss there too.

But you can still convert a polygon object to a subd object via the Modify/convert menu.
The result can't be see in the viewport but only in the outliner with a nice meaningless subd icon. AD must have forgotten to remove the convert commands associated with subd. Or there's some mysterious thing going on there.

Thread Closed share thread