Maya2014 whatWorks/whatNot

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Maya2014 whatWorks/whatNot

I quote myself from last year:
Quote: So, my first impressions with Maya2013:

what works not:
- still no container support for the node editor. This is really very bad!
- still no support for particle displayType: sphere, sprite, streak, blobby, tube, cloud in viewport 2.0

what works:
alembic with a boolean node in the history

edit:
questions I still want to ask but I do no longer expect an answer from our autodesk guys in the forum:
- will the DG ever be made multithreaded ( like ICE )
- will there be ever nodes which supply a better type of procedural work ( Soup/ICE/Houdini/procedural modeling )
- will there ever be a fast and robust boolean node/boolean methods in MFnMesh
- will we ever be better integrated in the bug/improvement handling at autodesk ( hey Shawn/Tim, do you remember the relevant threads?, the current situation is still _very_ unsatisfying )

Please change Maya2013 to Maya2014

Don`t be afraid Shawn, I will not ask again for container support in the node editor..

what works now: node editor shows connection information.
But hey, why should I care for that if I still cannot work with containers?

what works not:
no support for instancer node in viewport2.0 and no support for instancer node as a displayType in the modelEditor

Last edited by sciLoop : 04 April 2013 at 08:46 AM.

04 April 2013
There is a nasty bug with viewports over 2048-pixels wide on OS X:

https://vimeo.com/63910760

Seems to affect all Radeon-based machines and some Nvidia ones. it's not a problem in 2013.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sciLoop: Don`t be afraid Shawn, I will not ask again for container support in the node editor..

Heh afraid of what? I know it's a bummer not to have support for containers but the Node Editor went through some pretty extensive work for 2014 for usability and we didn't feel comfortable just 'tacking on' container support. It's a big item we want to do right.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: There is a nasty bug with viewports over 2048-pixels wide on OS X:

Seems to affect all Radeon-based machines and some Nvidia ones. it's not a problem in 2013.

LOL - weren't you supposed to report it during the beta prgram? :P

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: There is a nasty bug with viewports over 2048-pixels wide on OS X:

I have that exact problem in 2013.5

04 April 2013
first thing , which does not work for me right now : can't download it in the subscription center .... ;(

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Hamburger: LOL - weren't you supposed to report it during the beta prgram? :P

I did. They didn't fix it.

04 April 2013
David,

As was said on the beta by Ryan, it is a high priority item.
If an issue gets reported a few weeks before we ship, it is not likely to be fixed, unless it is a huge problem with no work-around.

In your case, the (temp) work-around is to use a slightly smaller viewport, by for example scaling the attribute editor up a bit.

04 April 2013
Mental Ray on OS X crashes to the OS when you try to render poly objects instanced to particles or nParticles (Instancer).

Also, enabling "Skip existing frames" may cause MayaBatch (again just an OS X problem) to hang before ever rendering a single frame. Still testing on this one to make sure it's not something screwy with my network.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: I did. They didn't fix it.

Ah okay, fair enough.

It's a pretty solid release, it seems more polished or something - was also mucking around with the new modelling tools and was disappointed that NEX didn't work on live mesh or any native snapping features live vertex snapping (???), and when I try and select a custom mesh on my screen this happens:

Would've been easier workflow just for Maya to automatically select the live mesh than picking it out from that awful list, hopefully that can be addressed down the track.

04 April 2013
I'd really be thrilled if 2014 is solid right off the bat without any deal-breaker bugs. I haven't even bothered trying it yet because I'm so used to waiting until at least sp1 or even sp2 until a new maya release becomes 100% viable for production. That's how it's been since the autodesk takeover anyway.

Last edited by sentry66 : 04 April 2013 at 01:54 AM.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by sentry66: I'd really be thrilled if 2014 is solid right off the bat without any deal-breaker bugs. I haven't even bothered trying it yet because I'm so used to waiting until at least sp1 or even sp2 until a new maya release becomes 100% viable for production. That's how it's been since the autodesk takeover anyway.

The 'ViewCube" no longer works (well at least for me with fresh prefs)....critical show stopper for me - I'm back to 2013.

04 April 2013
haha - nice one.

04 April 2013
I've been playing around with The Modeling Toolkit aka NEX and it needs further improvements and this is what i found:
1.When holding any sort of snapping it switches to the normal maya icons and automatically turns off the toolkit also since snapping doesn't work with the toolkit symmetry also won't work.
2.When is the toolkit sometimes when doing an undo to an operation u need to undo twice because sometimes it needs to do that to switch from a face mode for example to a different mode.
3.When using symmetry and press f to frame on the side i have selected it frames both the selected components and the symmetry ones and i like to frame on the part i'm working on.
4.Sometimes when using a custom pivot it doesn't work correctly in symmetry and also local axis doesn't work correctly in simmetry sometimes.
In conclusion the modeling toolkit feels forced into maya and it only works in component mode and for this to be usable it should always be on and always work and it should work with every tool whether it be snapping, working with live objects and so on.

04 April 2013
another thing that isnt working is subdivision surfaces.

i only use them for conversion from polys to nurbs...but i was surprised with what i found

Thread Closed share thread