Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
nykolas4render
portfolio
Nicolas
4render.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Plug Mia_Material to Fur Texture

Hey, i'm trying to plug a mia_material to FUr: Base COlor, TIp Color, Base Amb Color, tip Amb Color and Specular Color.. i'm not sure if that is possible.. this is what i (tried:

result (mia_material) > Out Color (Surface Shader) > Base Color, Tip, etc (fur)
result (mia_material) > Out Color (surface Shader) > Layered Texture > Base Color, Tip, (fur)
result (mia_material) > Input Color (Layered Shader) > Base Color, Tip,(fur)

i tried with a ramp too.. and Gamma Correction node.. no luck.. i mean. i know that mia_material is not designed to plug into FUr... but i think you can get great results for grass with Mia_Mat.. and PaintEffect Grass is really heavy to render.. Fur renders 500% faster..

anyway.. if anyone has a idea.. it will be trully appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Nic

Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Mia material...... plugged into Fur Root/Tip color?

No.

Mia material plugged into paint effects, sure. But not Maya Fur.

It will only accept textures... jpeg,tif etc and swatches etc.

Firstly, don't use the default maya fur shader that is set in the Fur Description.
Download the infamous *puppet shaders pack*. In there you will find a shader called HairTK. It takes a little fiddling around with it's associated shaders (HairTK shadow, shader replacer etc.) to get it going but once you've done it a couple of times it makes sense and is like riding a bike. Essentially, everything in the Fur Description attribute page related to colour and spec values etc. is overriden by this shader. Everything else related to the style... length, inclination, baldness etc. still gets changed there.

Apparently the writer of the shader pack's website is down but you can still get them here:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d.../c/shaders_p--2

How to set it up:
http://kiryha.blogspot.com.au/2010/...mental-ray.html

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

You try to use mentalcore plugin for maya. When enabling it, on fur you have the custom shader and you able to attach the shader you want.
Anyway, paint effects is slow to render, if you paint entire, for example, grass field by hand with it. But if you create a little(30cm) patch of your grass and duplicate as instance, you'll able to render fast then fur, more fast with million of polygon instanced. I suggest you to find, on cgtalk forum a thread called, "Forest in maya and mental ray".

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
nykolas4render
portfolio
Nicolas
4render.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Eggy, thank you for your help. I will take a look to the Puppet Shaders. Indeed. Awesome Tip! thanks a lot man!

ytsejam, you know.. what you told me make realize that i was using 35.000.000 polys.. agains 2.000.000 for fur.. so my time comparison was not fair.. also.. i had the scene populated with instances of grass patches.. so i reduce the instance from 10.000 to 2.000.. and that is much better. i was using too much grass.. thank you... however.. i will check that mentalcore...

thanks a lot both!

best,

Nic

Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976
You try to use mentalcore plugin for maya. When enabling it, on fur you have the custom shader and you able to attach the shader you want.
Anyway, paint effects is slow to render, if you paint entire, for example, grass field by hand with it. But if you create a little(30cm) patch of your grass and duplicate as instance, you'll able to render fast then fur, more fast with million of polygon instanced. I suggest you to find, on cgtalk forum a thread called, "Forest in maya and mental ray".

Firstly you gotta have the 3rd party mentalcore plugin so nykolas don't go hunting through maya looking for it.

Secondly the hair shader that comes with mentalcore does indeed have a custom input, but it from looking at core's shader and puppet's shader they are virtually the same attributes and default values... something leads me to believe it is based off the same math/model.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
nykolas4render
portfolio
Nicolas
4render.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hey Eggly, i think you are right.. i didn't try it yet.. however, it could be base on the same math than fur.. i'm going to check that out.. cause i want to use fur with mental ray and final gather... and so far.. i'm having a lot of trouble with FG.. (at least to make grass).. anyway.. i finally used poly grass with fake FG. and here is the shot. (which will be animated around 300 frames).. time to render.. 56 minutes. so.. it is going to take a while...
thanks for the help guys!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Cool. So you have the plugin. I advice against using final gather and fur/hair. If all your scene is grass then I imagine the rest of your scene is mostly green in palette. A fake is all that is needed.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
nykolas4render
portfolio
Nicolas
4render.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina

i see eggy... you are right.. ill put some green on the bark shaders.. and also... i think ill put some light fog to get a bit of depth feel... by the way.. i have a question...

last night i was thinking how to put some fog avoiding the volume fog.. so.. rending a Zdepth and using it as matte for contrast layer (desaturating which is far away) and also bluring it.. could get the same results.. am i right?.. im just guessing here..

thanks for the help dude.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
last night i was thinking how to put some fog avoiding the volume fog.. so.. rending a Zdepth and using it as matte for contrast layer (desaturating which is far away) and also bluring it.. could get the same results.. am i right?.. im just guessing here..

I use Z-depth for almost all my atmospherics. Rendering fogs inside Maya (mental ray, anyway) is really hit-and-miss, whereas using a Z-depth and then altitude pass, you can achieve great haze and fogs in postwork (Photoshop) very quickly and easily. Of course, this fog won't show up in reflections in water and whatnot, but for most scenes it's very much faster and looks better to do the fog/haze in Photoshop.

You could however render your fogs with Maya fluids in a separate scene, and then use those masked with the Z-depth and altitude passes inside Photoshop later. Or just use photographs of clouds or fog too, however you want to do it.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
nykolas4render
portfolio
Nicolas
4render.com
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Awesome Infernal.. thanks for your help.. i will use the Zdepth.. cause anyway I need to render it to get some depth of field.. so the pass will work twice..

I appreciated the tip!

i'll post the animation when is done.

cheers,

Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
I use Z-depth for almost all my atmospherics. Rendering fogs inside Maya (mental ray, anyway) is really hit-and-miss, whereas using a Z-depth and then altitude pass, you can achieve great haze and fogs in postwork (Photoshop) very quickly and easily. Of course, this fog won't show up in reflections in water and whatnot, but for most scenes it's very much faster and looks better to do the fog/haze in Photoshop.

You could however render your fogs with Maya fluids in a separate scene, and then use those masked with the Z-depth and altitude passes inside Photoshop later. Or just use photographs of clouds or fog too, however you want to do it.

What exactly is an altitude pass?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

An altitude pass is just like a Z-depth pass, only black is lowest altitudes and white is highest (or vice-versa), instead of nearest and furthest. Back at the dawn of my graphics learning, I used Bryce 3D a lot, and it had altitude and depth render modes, so I just got used to using them.

So in Photoshop, the depth pass handles distance haze and the altitude pass handles elevation haze. You need both to produce a convincing atmosphere for large scenes with, say, distant mountains or forested hills.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Aha.. That makes sense. I thought it might be some MR pass that I had missed. Do you know how to set one up in Maya ?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
I use Z-depth for almost all my atmospherics. Rendering fogs inside Maya (mental ray, anyway) is really hit-and-miss, whereas using a Z-depth and then altitude ........

That's funny. I've used volume fog sometimes to get a ZDepth when things don't turn out right. I thought I was the only one until I watch Alex Alverez do the same in one of his tutorials.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread