Alembic material/texture question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Alembic material/texture question

Hello everyone!
I'm using alembic format for my crowd simulation. The crowd - exported polyMesh from Softimage with geoCache in a FBX format but when I save mb/ma the files become huge, 5GB and even more. So I decided to use alembic format. The problem is that when I export alembic and the import them into maya the crowd have not materials anymore. Is there a way to conserve materials?

Old 04 April 2013   #2
alembic doesn't support material export. It's just for meshes. If you mean UVs, you can preserve UVs but not the shaders themselves.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
OK. Thanks for reply. IIn my case it's useless.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
It should be the kind of thing you could script a workflow for. When working with Alembic between Maya and C4D I often export the first frame as FBX, import that to C4D and then copy the materials from the FBX meshes over to the Alembic meshes. You could probably just connect the cache nodes back to the original shape nodes that are already textured if going from another app into Maya, again scripting would make that pretty fast to do.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #5
alembic 1.1 is be able to store material definitions...
but i assume you have to develop how to save the material for each render yourself...

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Horganovski
I have tried that but now it can´t recognize textures . The textureFiles are connected but objects are without textures.

oglu Could you give more details about it, please?

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Are you sure you exported/imported UVs? That could be a source of issues I guess.

My other suggestion was to connect the caches to the alredy-textured versions of the meshes, something like this for example, where 'mesh' is the target mesh.

connectAttr -f AlembicNode.outPolyMesh[0] meshShape.inMesh;

Cheers,
Brian

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Horganovski
Thanks, now it works!!

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Sorry for bumping old thread but kinda related question... Once alembic cache is merged into an object, how do I remove it back to original, non-animated state?

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread