CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #31
FUG1T1VE
portfolio
Eduardo
Los Angeles, USA

here's to 3 more grueling months to find out what really happens with the mac pro.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

it doesn't take this long to piece together a computer, give me a break

Old 04-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

was looking at the Imac and they only go up to 4 core how dose that even compete with a mac pro 12 core, everything I'm reading makes it seem like apple like the other companies jus want to concentrate on the consumer level where no body really knows what they want or need

Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #34
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

I think apple got screwed by intel delaying then cancelling ivy bridge xeons. They should have just bit the bullet and made mac pros with sandy bridge xeons

Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

is that what happened maan lameOs as if they couldnt made a new mac pro an work on the updated one until intel was green lit, these companies act like there geniuses of busness yet make no complete sense

Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #36
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
Professional Keyboard Turner
Autodesk Games Group
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehive
was looking at the Imac and they only go up to 4 core how dose that even compete with a mac pro 12 core, everything I'm reading makes it seem like apple like the other companies jus want to concentrate on the consumer level where no body really knows what they want or need

Still more than a capable enough machine really. I'm using my 15" rMBP for everything from animating to coding and compiling and it's only got four cores but suffices just fine. If you're rendering it's a different story entirely but I know lots of people using iMacs for professional work or MacBook Pro's without a hiccup. I'd love a big MP for my FCPX work and simulations but I'd also rather wait and let them get it right rather than rush something out the door.

I'd say people are pretty clear on what they want in the consumer level when you look at how much revenue it brings in for Apple

-s

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehive
is that what happened maan lameOs as if they couldnt made a new mac pro an work on the updated one until intel was green lit, these companies act like there geniuses of busness yet make no complete sense

yeah I think they didn't want to sink money into redesigning the case to handle the higher wattage that the top end sandy bridge xeons use - along with europe banning mac pro sales due to potential harm from high powered fans, I think a major redesign was going to be needed.

I could be wrong and maybe Apple just doesn't care about pro users anymore, but I tend to think that's not the case.

Either way, apple has proven they aren't committed to the cutting edge in regards to their pro hardware. They should have bit the bullet and made sandy bridge xeons ASAP.

Last edited by sentry66 : 04-16-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry66
I could be wrong and maybe Apple just doesn't care about pro users anymore

No way! How can you say that after all they have been doing for the pro users the past couple of years?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #39
fahr
Expert

Chad Gleason
Creative Director
Outpost 12 Studios
Lincoln, USA

Apple's lack of focus on the pro market has been downright ridiculous these past couple of years. However, all signs point to Mac Pro redesign this year. How this machine turns out will show beyond any doubt where apple stands with pro users (as if 3 years of hardly a speed bump to their existing line didn't speak volumes already...)

I have this fear of apple releasing a Mac mini pro.. (Shudder).

"Who needs pci express slots, Xeon processors, 4 drive bays and 1000 watt power supplies, anyway? iPhoto runs great on this Mac mini!"

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
mustique
Expert
copywriter

The almighty workstation tower paradigm is getting long in the tooth to be honest. So the idea of a modular mac mini pro doesn't sound too absurd imo.

A small single cpu mATX box with 8/16 or 12/24 cpu cores with plenty of ram slots would do it. Video cards and storage could be added through thunderbolt, which is an external PCI-X io anyway and will reach 20 GB/s speeds this year.

This could also allow your external VGA card to be plugged into your Macbook Air for example...

It would also be nice to buy additional boxes and stack them up to become a more powerfull machine along the way...

Of course this is all wishfull thinking here, but I would be much more happy to buy into this kind of flexibility.

Last edited by mustique : 04-18-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #41
ryanduff
Expert

portfolio
Ryan Duff
3d / Motion Graphics Artist
3DDuff LLC
Chicago, USA

Send a message via AIM to ryanduff
At NAB 2012 (last year) there where rumors Apple was waiting on ThunderBolt 2.0 for the MacPro. With Intel just announcing 4.0 ( Falcon Ridge) @ 20GB, ThunderBolt I'm SURE that will be at the heart of what ever is the new 'Pro-Mac'. Apple may get those Chips a few months early but even Intel is saying 2014.

I forget who it is but somebody made a design sheet for a moduler MacPro. That Started with a 'Stubby tower' and could be expanded to a full-system. That seams like an Idea Apple would embrace. The new MacPro could start at $2400 for the 'Compute-unit' and then expand up from there. I hope nobody is shocked by what that flagship will go for. I have been looking at building a PC for 3d apps and the IvyBridge Xeons are going for $2k A PIECE. Specking out a 'full blown' system is in the $12k-$15k area. I think apple knows as much as we WANT A MAC PRO...A small % of the pro market could justify forking over that much.

Stackable MacMinis. This has been the wet dream of renderfarm admins since the MacMini was first announced. There are 2 points here 1 Stackable / RACKABLE and 2 Shared resources/ pooled computing. Stackable / RACKABLE they already are. Now SHARED computing is a WHOLE different story. A Super computer made of 10-15 MacMinis sounds awesome. I Had Thought that apple was moving down this road. But After reading about the half a dozen Linix Distros that DO THAT TODAY, I have come to the realization that Apple COULD, but they dont want to. iOS told me so. With that BIG success of the iphone and more to the point iPad, Apple wants to take the computer AWAY and give you a THIN client (figuratively AND literally), and do all your possessing in the iCloud. THats how Sire works. Even AutoDesk and adobe is working in that direction, 'Rent-your app' or you can think of it as 'rent-your-CPUs' you only own the display and output. This wont happen in the next 6 months, but remember Apple is working on products TODAY we wont see for 1-2 years.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Well, I too fear the days where scientists and cg artists will be the only people to ever buy a desktop computer in the so called post-pc era. I can imagine that there will be enough beancounters who would love to sell you PC's at sgi workstation prices in the future

Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #43
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

yea that's a prob i can see where 95% just want to check email or Facebook an the few who know what there doing have to pay for higher end system that can handle the work load. as the cost shoots down to make mobile devices and sales computer systems stagnate yes the price will go up to make up the difference.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #44
lazzhar
Lazhar Rekik

portfolio
Lazhar Rekik
3D and stuff
Algeria

I think hardcore gamers are our front line for now.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
"Who needs pci express slots, Xeon processors, 4 drive bays and 1000 watt power supplies, anyway? iPhoto runs great on this Mac mini!"

ya, it's not going to happen. The new Mac Pro is going to be a gesture that says "we understand pros" and that means replaceable GPU, good cooling, etc.

I don't need a ton of drive bays though. 4 is fine and AV shops use external RAID arrays anyway. Thunderbolt 2 will only make that even more practical. Not that Thunderbolt 1 is slow...

Thread Closed share thread