New Mac pros ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #16
you don't have to license slaves. Just make sure you enable it as a service when you install or it will have to be manually launched after. Just enter the IP of the slave machine in the DR settings and it will take care of the rest. Just make sure to open the firewall port on your Linux machine.

Old 04 April 2013   #17
sweet deal thanks man, really appreciate it

Old 04 April 2013   #18
node parts lists?

I have been hovering above the BUY button for 2-3 render nodes for a couple of months now. Here is a list i found that mirrors my wishlist. all of this is about $900 -$1100 per node, which looks cheep for Core i7 6core/12 thread.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/P...Number=18324231

anyone have a better parts list?

Dont think about waiting till the next Intel gen. These are for TODAY. Buy what you need, when you need it, tomarow will always be faster.

Old 04 April 2013   #19
I bought a couple of these cases because they are stackable and don`t look like alien spaceship rubble:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811163194

Old 04 April 2013   #20
ryanduff: i priced out a dual i7 6 core on newegg for around 2k with 32gb ram im might go with in the next week or so

Old 04 April 2013   #21
thehive: Duel i7? i thought only XEON level chips can go dual CPU. I would be very interested in seeing your config. I keep swaying between 1 moster 3d workstation, or 3 render nodes. 3 nodes world render faster, but 1 Dual CPU will crunch Simulations faster.

Old 04 April 2013   #22
mybad yea dual xeon here is what i speced out

PDF specs<<

Old 04 April 2013   #23
I built one similar to what you have in the PDF. I was able to overclock the thing to 3.4 no prob. That evga board is nice but huge. I could easily build two good single socket nodes smaller than one of those. Takes a little more fiddling to get it working than just buying a mac and plugging it in. But I'm sure you can think of something to do with your extra thousand dollars that will make you feel better.

Old 04 April 2013   #24
any one hear anything at NAB about the new mac pro i looked but didn't see any announcements

Old 04 April 2013   #25
no, if there was news you wouldn't be able to NOT hear about it

But i did get a Spam from apple this morning for the iMac saying something like "the most capable mac ever".....um ya. Call me back when it has a Fusion io card, a Nvidia k5000 at 32 core CPU.

in related news Steve Wozniak goes back to working with a company that MAKES COMPUTERS!

http://www.hpandwoz.com/

Old 04 April 2013   #26
Yeah I didn't hear anything about NAB either. There's still a few more days but it seems unlikely.

For what it's worth, here's the latest from the rumor mill:

Quote: Apple will announce its replacement for the company’s Mac Pro lineup this month, a source who has been correct about Apple product matters in the past has just informed us. Our source offered no information as to whether the “Mac Pro replacement” would be a tower, mini-tower, or some other solution, but did caution that the announcement “could slip into May or even June, but currently April looks most likely.”

We cannot independently corroborate this information, so this item has been categorized as a rumor.

We’ll bring you more info if/when we get it.
Take that with a grain of salt. At this point, I think that the next likely date for an announcement is mid-June at WWDC.

Old 04 April 2013   #27
I have no idea. really. I love mac its been an awesome machine but I'm thinking about running a windows version for next time just because the mac side of things for 3d gets left behind.. there's a list of plug ins for maya that don't get ported to mac and if they do it takes for ever.

Ive done the virtual boot of windows on mac but i find that certain buttons go awry when navigating in 3d and they get reverted to mac randomly..

I haven't tried out a full dual boot of windows on a mac because of projects Im working on and don't want to risk frying up anything while still working.. maybe one day, il have the time to do a proper dual boot and test out windows and give those 3d apps a run for their trial time on the mac.

no news and NAB has come and gone..

Old 04 April 2013   #28
no, the new Mac Pros aren't coming for a few months. It's killing me too.

Old 04 April 2013   #29
I don't know why mac pro users still hold out hope that Apple cares about them when everything they have done for the past five years points to otherwise.

Old 04 April 2013   #30
we'll see, come summer time. I think that they will be making some pretty good gestures to say otherwise. The Mac Pro is not a big market but it's an important market for them to retain for various reasons. You can't say "Think Different" if all the creative users switch to another platform. It's a marketing issue more than it is about money. That's ironically what will probably see them support this niche market of high-end creative machines for a long time to come. John Siracusa said something similar in a recent blog post about the Mac Pro:

http://hypercritical.co/2013/03/08/...c-pro-successor

Thread Closed share thread