Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
gennt
portfolio
Albania

Unhappy Beginner Help in Maya 2013

Hello Guys

I am a beginner in Maya 2013 and i am training on learning the software but i have come across a problem which is making my workflow very difficult. My problem is in measurements. I understand how Units work in Maya as opposed to say 3ds max and all but here is my issue. Let's say i make a square of with 5/5/5 units (which translates in 5/5/5 cm with my settings) and i doing an extrude to one of the faces of the square but in my scale values it is still 5/5/5 units, it seems that it is not showing my original measurements of my object. I am trying to make a very precise interior scene but with these problems my whole measurements are turning out incorrect and i am getting furstrated with this :( .

I hope anyone can help me with this issue and hopefully my english was good enough to make it clear.
Thank you guys

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
farcue
billy wood
Faro, Canada

Maya's funny.
When you first create an object you have the option to set things like height, width depth, divisions, etc. A primitive object's createNode [ look in the ChannelBox or Hypergraph ] will remain editable until you delete history.

But Maya doesn't display detailed measurements for complex objects by default.

It is possible to query virtually any aspect of your scene with MEL.
But when you're modeling things with specific dimensions in mind it's mostly up to you to keep track as you go:
-use the transformation value fields available in the status line
-make use of orthographic views
-set Grid preferences so that where it appears in scene and what information it displays are useful to your work
-make use of "snapping" behaviour [ for example: hold down the "x" key to snap to Grid ].
-type numbers into the extrude widget
-use the Duplicate Special options
-refer to the feedback available in the Script Editor [ Copy commands that appear in the history section. Paste them into the work area. Replace the sloppy adjustments you made with the manipulators with exact values. Then execute the revised commands.

I hope this was helpful.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
AbsorbentGhost
3ds max and maya
portfolio
Valentious Williams
Freelance airbrush artist
Saint Lucia

hey ,you guys can join me on skype

we talk Maya etc ,give me a request ti Absorbentghost .

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Farcue, you forgot one of the most important and overlooked ones:

THe Universal Manipulator Tool.

To the OP:

A square is 2-dimensional, it can't be 5|5|5. That said, are you talking about a cube? And specifically, are you talking about the polyCube node at the root of your construction history?
To understand why 'measurements' in that node don't change, you must first gain a firm grasp of Maya's fundamentals, in this case Construction History, Nodes and their flow, and the Dependency Graph in general.

If you are coming from Max, the construction history is best compared to the modifier stack. A modifier at the top of the stack can dramatically alter your object and its dimensions, but said alteration won't be reflected in the values of a modifier further down the stack.

An analogy is a river, where ouputs from one node flow downstream into the construction history. If you empty a bucket of red paint at the source of the stream (all the way upstream), then the whole river, all the way downstream, turns red.
Dump a bucket of red paint at some point downstream, and whatever lies before it does not turn red. Of course not, water flows down, not up.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread