Sampling intersections into shader?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Sampling intersections into shader?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of how to sample the progressing intersection between two geometries, and render it out as a matte?

To be specific, I have a boat running through water. The water is deformed using the HOT-plugin. I need to put foam behind the boat, we have a ton of these shots to do, and I won't really have time to do them all with realflow, I have done some tests with maya particles emitted from an intersection-toonline too, but what would be way better is to be able to sample the intersection into a shader, with decay, so the surface would actually show in black and white, where the boat has been. That way the art director would have control over the look of the foam. We just render it out the surface and matte it out using whatever solution we come up with. Anyway, it's a longshot, but if someone has a tip has seen anything like this done in maya, any plugin, script, sample, shader whatever I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread