Maya vs Max - Advice Needed

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Maya vs Max - Advice Needed

I am currently using ZBrush, Vue and Photoshop in my workflow and now need to look into adding either Maya or Max as well. After reading many topics and talking with others, I could use some good advice on which one would be the best to start with, given my workflow?

My goal is NOT to be in the industry or have it as a full time job, this is purely a hobby for me that I enjoy. What I mainly do is very high resolution, realistic type renders for my own enjoyment. They consist of still renders, I have not gotten into animation, maybe way down the road, but not for now. However, I do some rigging in ZBrush and morphs, but would also want to know how and why to do them using either Maya or Max too.

I know some say Maya is better for animation and such and Max is better at rigging and morphs for characters (such as video games), but I don't know what is best for me? They both cost some SERIOUS money to invest in and I need to know what to use to merge with my ZBrush and others as a workflow. Also, should I buy now or wait for the next version of either?

Thanks for any info and help.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
When you say Vue, I assume you're more into landscape, trees and stuff like that right? In that case MAX will probably give you an easier time with all the plugins it has (multiscatter, Itoo forest pack, dreamscape, etc.) Maya is capable of achieving the same results, but with fewer 1-click solution to use.

Last edited by Panupat : 03 March 2013 at 01:30 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Personally, I think Maya's interface is a whole lot simpler and smoother than max's. Maya is great for rigging, and especially easy if you have a biped character with HumanIK (don't know if max has an equivalent). As for rendering, both applications will yield the same results using mental ray; which comes with both applications.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thanks for the initial replies. I should've been more clear on my work. Mainly, it's a hobby for me as I started as a free-lance writer many years ago and got into doing my own graphic novels. The renders I do are mostly sci-fi and fantasy based with great detail. I spend a LOT of time on realistic looking models, many people/aliens and such.

Vue is used for setting up my scene in which I place the models that I have created. I have no use for any scene or landscape type use due to this, as everything for both indoor and outdoor environments are fully done within Vue.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread