Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

How to get rid off that annoying student licence window?

Hello guys,

is there a way to get rid off this annoying window everytime I am saving a file? I don't mind when I am opening it but I have two props in the scene and they cause this and it annoys me to hell. How do I get rid off it, please? (its enough for me at the saving stage)

Please, any solution to this?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

buy the non-student copy.

sorry – I had to.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
buy the non-student copy.

sorry – I had to.

It's not my side that has the problem. The file I am using was created by someone else in a student licence so now you get the issue with any licence. I just don't know how to get rid off it. It may force me to remodel the damn props myself if I can't find a way to remove it. :(

Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

try exporting as obj or fbx then reimport

Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
republicavfx
Expert

portfolio
Scott Turner
Generalist/ Coordinador Animación 3D, Instituto Arcos
Vina Del Mar, Chile

annoying. i have to grade students work in groups on major projects with lots of references and every reference throws that dialogue

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

There is a simple way to fix this, but I don't know if it's frowned upon or violates a license (I guess it might) so not sure if I should spell it out here.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloor
It's not my side that has the problem.

It is your problem. You are trying to use student work on a commercial version.

It is a violation of your license as well as his/her license to turn around and use that work commercially.

What is to stop you from doing that? Nothing. Hense the restriction when opening the file.

It is a great deal for students.

I question the foresight in violating it. Incidents like this are probably unavoidable. But it sure does not help to secure such a great deal for students in the future.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade33ru
annoying. i have to grade students work in groups on major projects with lots of references and every reference throws that dialogue

Yep, exactly. One warning is ok but warning for everything and also when you are saving is insane. Also, if you click cancel by mistake, Maya deletes the file and then doesn't allow you te resave it so if you don't have another version then you are screwed

Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
republicavfx
Expert

portfolio
Scott Turner
Generalist/ Coordinador Animación 3D, Instituto Arcos
Vina Del Mar, Chile

brian please pm the info..this is so annoying on a weekly basis

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineartist
It is your problem. You are trying to use student work on a commercial version.

It is a violation of your license as well as his/her license to turn around and use that work commercially.

What is to stop you from doing that? Nothing. Hense the restriction when opening the file.

It is a great deal for students.

I question the foresight in violating it. Incidents like this are probably unavoidable. But it sure does not help to secure such a great deal for students in the future.

Please don't jump to conclusion and judge me without knowing the situation. I am not using it for commercial purpose. In fact, I am using it on a course project as a student. There is no violation or at least not that I am aware of.
Wouldn't hurt if you tried to assume positive intent next time rather than negative.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Quote:
Please don't jump to conclusion and judge me without knowing the situation. I am not using it for commercial purpose. In fact, I am using it on a course project as a student. There is no violation or at least not that I am aware of.
Wouldn't hurt if you tried to assume positive intent next time rather than negative.

What exactly did I conclude?

I only stated that it is a violation to do that, I did not say I thought you were doing it. If I thought that, or there was any hint of it in particular, I would have said something else entirely.

I am not in a position to judge you or assume anything. You are the one who is infact making the assumption and reading into what I said to mean something else. And you are also assuming quite a lot about someone you don't know to think that of me. Aren't you?

Read what I said again. I worded it very clearly to state what I meant.

I am only saying that Autodesk does not have anyway to protect people from using it illegally. This message is the only restriction. That is why it is there.

To me this is like complaining that it is asking you to register your software when the trial period is over.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I'm scanning it pretty quickly, so I could definitely be missing something, but I don't see anything in the student licence that forbids getting rid of that window.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #13
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineartist
What exactly did I conclude?

You said: "It is your problem. You are trying to use student work on a commercial version.

I'm sorry but that sounds to me that you are saying that I am using commercial version to use student work commercially. English is not my first language but the second sentence implies exactly that. That is why I said don't assume.

I don't see a reason why using a student work on a personal (non commercial) and simply educational project on a commercial licence would pose any issue.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Quote:
You said: "It is your problem. You are trying to use student work on a commercial version.

I'm sorry but that sounds to me that you are saying that I am using commercial version to use student work commercially. English is not my first language but the second sentence implies exactly that. That is why I said don't assume.

I don't see a reason why using a student work on a personal (non commercial) and simply educational project on a commercial licence would pose any issue.

OK if English is your second language, I understand and appologize for the misunderstanding.

Let's take it line by line to clarify:

It is your problem:

I meant this in response to what you said: "It is not on my side that has the problem..."

The reason I said this is because it is by design. It is designed to be your problem if you open up a student version of a file. That is exactly why it is there.

The message says:

Quote:
This file was created with a Student Version of "software name". Use of this file by an Educational Institution or for commercial purposes is a violation of your "software name" License Agreement.

To further clarify, this is stated on the Autodesk website:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=18270111

Quote:
Students and faculty can download free* Autodesk software for personal educational purposes. Student licenses incorporate all the software functionality of our professional licenses, but include a print banner or watermark on output indicating the design was created using a Student license version. Autodesk Student licenses are available as Stand-Alone only and may not be used in the classroom or lab for instructional purposes, or for commercial or for-profit purposes.

You said:

Quote:
In fact, I am using it on a course project as a student. There is no violation or at least not that I am aware of.

Personally I don't really care about your particular use either way. But if it is being used in a classroom it is a violation of the agreement.

For that your school has to pay for seats:

Quote:
Educational (EDU) / Institution

Educational institutions, students and faculty can receive affordable pricing on a variety of Educational licensing options. Our Autodesk® Education Suites can be purchased as Stand-Alone, Multi-seat Stand-Alone or Network licenses and give academic institutions access to comprehensive software products and tools. Educational licenses cannot be used for commercial, professional or for-profit purposes.

But lets not argue that point. Not important. I only want to illustrate that there is a reason the message is there.

I said:

Quote:

What is to stop you from doing that? Nothing. Hence the restriction when opening the file.

I meant that it is simply a violation to use a file for a commercial product. Not that you are doing that. Only to illustrate and explain why the message is there.

How do you make a commercial product? In a commercial version. It is assumed if you have a commercial version that is what you are using it for.

But you see this is not about you. That is what I am trying to get you to understand. It is not that you are doing something wrong. It is because there are thousands of people out there looking to take advantage of this situation and save money by using educational versions on productions. Or freelance artists working with student versions and sending the work to the client. If the client opens up the file and sees that the work that they are paying for is done on a student version, they know they are violating the agreement. Many commercial business will not take the chance to do that and then get caught. They can simply send the work back and refuse to deal with such a person. It is also a label on that file and could be evidence in court or if Autodesk is informed that someone is possibly violating the agreement, they have the right to take a look at your files and see if you have been using student versions. Basically what is referred to as an Audit. I am not sure about the likely hood of this or how they go about it. But that is not the point really.

However, for this reason alone, I don't think you have to read between the lines to see that it would be a violation of the agreement to remove the notice. That would be in effect hacking the software.

My message is clear.

Chill out!

Be happy that Autodesk is at least doing one thing right. They are offering free software for people to learn on. It is a great idea and very helpful to people and good business for them.

Don't be so self centered that you do not see the larger picture and see that deleting the message or complaining about this could jeopardize this wonderful privilege that they give to students.

We we don't want them doing is hearing about this, and thinking of more restrictions to put on educational software just because a few people found these messages annoying.

Just chill.

Last edited by cineartist : 03-18-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Gloor
Know-it-All
portfolio
Tom
United Kingdom

I'm sorry but you are just taking it a way more seriously than it needs to be. I was simply asking how to get rid of it whilst saving it (as the opening file is ok for me) and I wanted to know how to get only one window for the scene and not each window for each referenced prop or character. You took it so far that I don't think was even needed.

if you do cg workshop and the "students" have students version and the mentor has commercial version then is it a problem too? Seeing that the workshops are not "schools" or "educational institutions" then it is perfectly acceptable situation, right?

Anyway, yes Autodesk is doing a nice job. I still remember the water mark in (i think) 7.0

Thread Closed share thread