Free Renderers for Maya 2013?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Lightbulb Free Renderers for Maya 2013?

Hi,
Are there any free renderers for maya 2013? I've heard of Luxrender, but am not sure if it's for maya 2013.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Lux render is already free to begin with. There are community-made exporter for Maya

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Exporter_Status

Moma is also an interesting choice
http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/jweb/moma/

Other than that are standard Maya stuff... You know, software, hardware, vector, MR.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Doesn't 3delight come with a (limited) free license?

David

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Mental ray is free within Maya :-)

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thanks guys, I've tried to use mental ray, but my designs look flat (?). My designs look very simple with textures, yet I've put so much work into them. Is it that they have no bump map? I have a pretty low powered computer, so I can't do too much bump map. If someone would mind giving me a few tutorials, that would be great! Also, what exactly is baking a texture?

Thanks,
E

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Sounds like a gamma issue.

Can you post pics of the render you tried so we can see the problem. Easier to guide you if can see where you are at.

Best,

Richard

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Bump map is very cheap tho. But if color is all you need, and you want super fast rendering, Maya software is all you need... I don't think you even need tutorial for that.

Unless you're totally new to texturing/rendering, then I suggest check out Digital Tutors.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
3Delight has the free version but there is nothing for 2013.5 if you are using that. Have to wait til they both release 2014.

Enuniq - from the sound of your response you don't have that much experience with rendering shading and lighting. Mental Ray has enough for what you need as has been stated.

And agreed check out some tutorials in that case.

Old 03 March 2013   #9

There's a pic.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Ah ok. Yes so you are very new to this.

I would definitely suggest watching some online tutorials.

Digital Tutors is probably a good recourse for beginners. You can get a months access to their whole library for pretty cheap and they cover lots of areas with beginners guides.

Best,

Richard

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Enuniq:
There's a pic.
That shot has 99 problems but the renderer ain't one.

You need to learn the fundamentals before blaming the render engine. There's no magic "make it look awesome" button in any renderer.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
I was not blaming the renderer. Mental Ray is one of the best renderers out there. I do know the grass is weird, and that is because I didn't stretch the uvs out. Thanks for info, though guys. I know I'm a noob at texturing. ALSO, what exactly is baking? Unfortunately, I don't exactly have the money to spend on digital tutors. I know they are a really good place though for learning, could someone point me to a youtube tutorial, if possible? Thanks!

E

Old 03 March 2013   #13
You could try Autodesk's youtube channel for maya.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MayaHowTos

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Things to consider just at a quick glance. Texture scale, scene/object scale, material basics, lighting basics and composition. It's not the renderer although some renderers make dealing with the basics easier. I think the suggestions to get some basics under your belt are spot on. If you don't, you'll get frustrated with just about any renderer.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
As I said in my previous post, I understand that I didn't completely get that uv large enough. By the way, what do you mean by object scale. I think it's the right size... but I'm no expert. Also, parts of the outside aren't as good as other parts, because I wanted to get the project done asap (really slow computer which is hard to work with). I will say though, I'm not a complete noob to the texturing (uv) side of it. Thanks for your help though.

Thread Closed share thread