Texture image doesn't appear...only a shiny white

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Texture image doesn't appear...only a shiny white

Hello all,
I have a terrain from a USGS DEM that I want to use in Maya, so I brought it into VUE 10 and exported it in .obj format. I then opened it in Maya and it looks just as it should. (As a test, I also used Okino PolyTrans and saved the DEM in .obj format...Maya opens both of them just fine.)

The plan is to place a matching image onto the terrain as a 'texture image' so things look realistic, but I cannot get the image to appear. All that happens is the surface of the terrain becomes a shiny white. Something is obviously happening, but the actual image never shows up.
Oddly, I can create any other plane or object in the same scene with the terrain object, and I can apply my image to any of these other planes or objects and it shows up fine. But for some reason, I can't get any image-- even a low-res flat black test image--to show on the terrain .obj that was created in VUE or PolyTrans.

If anyone has a clue how to resolve this, help me Obi-wan-Kenobi..
-JTT

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Hi,
Select the shader, open the attribute editor, goto hardware texturing and change the option from none to diffuse. try if this works.
Rgds,

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Originally Posted by shinyprem: Hi,
Select the shader, open the attribute editor, goto hardware texturing and change the option from none to diffuse. try if this works.
Rgds,

Thanks for the suggestion, but after applying the image I'm using for the texture, the Hardware Texturing option (under Textured Channel) sets itself to 'Color' and Diffuse is greyed-out. So I'm still stuck with the white coloration.

It's quirky because, as I said before about making a plane, I can actually create any other kind of polygon and my image shows up perfectly on them. But why it won't show up on the imported terrain object is still a mystery to me.
Thanks again,
JT

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread