Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
veclock
Veteran

Patrik
Sweden

Animation loop, tangents

Hi, I have a quick question.

I have an animation where I apply auto tangents to all the curves. It's going to loop, and that's where a problem comes up. Auto tangents doesn't apply to the first/last frame although I've made it to loop pre/post infinity. Do I have to do it manually or is there another way?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Autotangent isn't some magic solve-all mode, i.e. when you apply it to the first key in a sequence, it doesn't automatically look up what the in tangent of the last key was and apply it to the first key. No interpolation/tangent method does that, yoiu always have to manually ensure your first and last key match up.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
jonmummery
Veteran
portfolio
Jon Mummery
Senior Animator
Crytek
United Kingdom

yeah for a while now ive been thinking about a script that can match first key and last key tangents. A quick search finds one called TangentMatcher, maybe try that?

Normally I will edits these tangents by hand for loops as I dont trust the computer to give me the tangent i want.
You can turn on pre and post infinity on the curves and tweak the tangents manually for good results. Often I find I start by flattening the first and last key tangents, then grab the outer handles of them both then move the tangents together so they get exactly the same tangent.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Mark-J
Know-it-All

portfolio
Mark Jackson
CEO & Founder
Red9 Consultancy
United Kingdom

I maybe feel a little hack into Red9 coming up

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
veclock
Veteran

Patrik
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmummery
yeah for a while now ive been thinking about a script that can match first key and last key tangents. A quick search finds one called TangentMatcher, maybe try that?

Normally I will edits these tangents by hand for loops as I dont trust the computer to give me the tangent i want.
You can turn on pre and post infinity on the curves and tweak the tangents manually for good results. Often I find I start by flattening the first and last key tangents, then grab the outer handles of them both then move the tangents together so they get exactly the same tangent.

Thank you! Tried the plugin, works pretty well. Tried your method as well, works great!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
jonmummery
Veteran
portfolio
Jon Mummery
Senior Animator
Crytek
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by veclock
Thank you! Tried the plugin, works pretty well. Tried your method as well, works great!

No worries dude.
Yeah Mark would be handy for Red9

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread