what‘’s the advantage about the MR standalone

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Smile what‘’s the advantage about the MR standalone

what’s the advantage about the MR standalone?

Recently,a lot of heavy scene are needed,for example the huge forest,after 2-3 frame,MAYA always crash.the trees have already been converted to the MR proxy, so i consider if the standalone version is better for the heavy scene like the AD said

Could anyone give some advice? thanks very much.

03 March 2013
Well first you might wanna debug your scene to find out some reason why it's crashing.
After that some ideas might pop up if mr/whatever standalone renderer can save your day.

Go to the render settings and put some verbosity on for your batch rendering and then
take a look at the maya render log after the render is finished/crashed.

If these things do not sound familiar, consult your Maya documentation for more info.

For starters :-)

/risto

03 March 2013
Unhappy

i think maya crash frequently due to the memory manager.when the first frame is rendering,1/2 memory is occupied,the next frame,2/3 memory is occupied,then the third frame,memeory is not released yet and not enough,so maya crash...

when i restart maya render,the same thing go on.i don't know why MR not release memory at the right time.OR is there any better way to manage memory manually?

thanks

03 March 2013
Well there's a tricky question.

Are you doing a batch render from terminal or with Maya on ?

From terminal is the preferred way, if you want to save memory
for the rendering only.

But you do understand that it's really hard to help you without any
knowledge of your scene, shaders or render / erro log output.

The bright side is that _if_ memory ( of lack of it) is the source of your
rendering problems, the solution is quite cheap, nowadays :-)

/risto

03 March 2013
There are some advantages but also disadvantages using mental ray standalone. The first thing is the ease of use once used in a render pipeline. There is a bunch of flags you can use to customize the standalone render settings for your exported scene so you dont need much setup inside maya to match certain quality presets in your final render. The second is the tendency of maya to crash while pressing the render button for the in-app mental ray for maya. Also its not unlikely that mental ray crashes and with it maya and any unsaved progress is gone. Of course this is only an issue of RenderView renderings with MR. To avoid this, i almost completely render outside maya using MRStandalone.You can hook up imf_disp.exe to the render process to get an imediate view of the rendered buckets so far. Its surely no good solution to get over poorly implemented code but you have to deal with the facts. Next thing is the lower memory usage, because you dont have maya core and the whole maya scene graph in memory while rendering (even mental ray for maya converts the whole scene into MRs native file format internaly for rendering). Third, it seems to mee that it renders slightly faster than mental ray inside maya, at least in some cases. Some time ago i had a project involving importon and irradiance and MRStandalone was some percent faster for frames which took me around 1:30h each. It also seems to me that the MRStandalone running in idle priority is less noticeable compared to maya batch rendering with mental ray which produces slightly more lag while working.

Now the disadvantages. First and most important here the lack of support for mayas pass system Although you can create a labourious setup using color-, depth-, vector- and labelBuffer to simulate something like passes and get at least masks for areas of your rendered images. But thats not even near to that what maya offers with its built in pass system. Second, you need to export the scene into the mi format. There are several options for that but after years of use of MRStandalone i found the only one ensuring correct renders is to create your own export script and let maya step through the frames and export the scene per frame. Thats sometimes very time consuming and also a matter of disk space if you are dealing with big poly counts or massive fur descriptions for example. And third, the renders can look slightly different to those rendered with mental ray inside maya. At least i experienced this with older versions of MRStandalone and their corresponding in-app pendants in maya.

Last edited by zaskar : 03 March 2013 at 10:17 AM.

03 March 2013
I use standalone at work because we have a renderfarm and each nodes needs either a standalone license or a full maya license. That being said I dont see that many advantages, like the above poster said exporting large scenes is VERY time consuming.

To try and get the job done with what you have i'd try to strip down the scene as much as possible.
I dont think its s factor but make sure BSP2 is on instead of regular BSP under acceleration in MR globals.

Also you can try and pre rendering out the FG map to save on memory, and most definitely command line render instead of rendering inside maya. Maya can take up a huge chunk of memory.

03 March 2013
Textures might also be eating a lot of memory, take a look at this post over aliasing and memory management:

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...-to-mental-ray/

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread