How do I change the playblast temp save location?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
How do I change the playblast temp save location?

Hi Guys,

I never had to deal with this before I had a SSD but I just realized Maya saves some rather large playblast files every time I do a playblast under c:\users\me\appdata\local\temp\ directory and filling up my SSD.

Where can I change it so maya 2013 uses one of my other drives to write the temp playblast files?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
It should be using the location in the render settings image attribs.
Looked there?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
You can set the
TMPDIR=/mnt/your_usr/tmp_dir
variable in Maya.env

Old 02 February 2013   #4
TMPDIR used for Linux and Mac
TEMP and or TMP are the normal EV for windows

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Yea I tried the environment variables before I posted the thread actually and it didn't work. It is still saving into the C drive. Tried setting the temp folder at the project settings too after reading Jaco's post and that also didn't work.

For now I am just saving the playblast files at the folder I want. It is just an extra step of clicking the overwrite button every time I playblast but kinda annoying

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I misunderstood the question Ali.

If you want the temp blasts, Maya uses the windows variable for that. You can change that from the OS variables. It uses the one called $TEMP (environment variables I think, am on Linux right now).

Old 02 February 2013   #7
What is your setting for the Environment Variable TMP (set before running Maya)

the playblast command uses tempnam() to generate the temp file used. For Windows, from the MSDN doc, the Environment Variable TMP should be one being used to define where the files are placed

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hs3e7355(v=vs.71).aspx

_tempnam will generate a unique file name for a directory chosen by the following rules:

If the TMP environment variable is defined and set to a valid directory name, unique file names will be generated for the directory specified by TMP.
If the TMP environment variable is not defined or if it is set to the name of a directory that does not exist, _tempnam will use the dir parameter as the path for which it will generate unique names.
If the TMP environment variable is not defined or if it is set to the name of a directory that does not exist, and if dir is either NULL or set to the name of a directory that does not exist, _tempnam will use the current working directory to generate unique names. Currently, if both TMP and dir specify names of directories that do not exist, the _tempnam function call will fail.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread