CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

multiple UV's on one object?

I have created multiple UV's on one object. The object is basically a coin shape, I have made a UVset for the top faces, the side faces and the bottom faces. Now I am stuck because I need to be able to assign three different textures to each of these UVsets and have them appear on one object all sharing one shader, ie lambert shader.
I know it can be done I just don't know how to do it. Can anyone help me with this.

I have attached a very simple .ma setup with 3 textures showing the problem and maybe is helps someone find a solution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mutiUVs_oneObject.zip (31.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

I found this blog on the subject, Multiple UV tiles for a single shader which suggests you first slide the default color of the texture to black then layer all the textures together using the blend mode of 'add'. It works but the hard ware render doesn't display all these layered textures. I hate Maya it seems so unintuitive.

Just noticed it works for the Maya render but not for the MR render? Anyone know how to get MR to render this correctly?

Last edited by mettam : 02-15-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Zhbdcafe
MayaArtist
portfolio
Zahid Hasan Zitu
No
Sylhet, Bangladesh

Send a message via MSN to Zhbdcafe Send a message via Yahoo to Zhbdcafe
I did some experiment before to get actual result. Here is my workflow:

1. Create as many file node as you want. And locate your texture images.
2. Then create a layered texture node and drop all the textures on that node and set the blend mode "Illuminate".
3. Now you need specific uvChooser node that selects the desired UV map for every texture. To do that create your material (say a lambert). Now open the uv set editor and select a uv map and connect a texture to your lambert. It will create a uvchooser node connected to the textures place2dTexture node. Now break the connection between the texture file node and the lambert. Similarly do the same for the other file texture nodes and uv maps. You do this for getting the correct uvchooser connected to your place2dtexture. If you are done, now disconnect your lambert from last file texture node and connect the layered texture's outColor to lamberts color.

4. Then open the texture centric uv linker editor and link your correct textures from the layered texture array to the correct uv map.

Here you did it. In this technique I have used every uvchooser as a mask for a texture and for that uv. It works fine. Good luck.

Last edited by Zhbdcafe : 02-17-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Maya is missing this simple attribute.
3dsMax has it with a "multisub_objectMaterial".

Such an easy implementation with material attributes for maya. But it appears they are quite lazy.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

Thank you Zhbdcafe for looking in to this for me.

I was not able to get it to render correctly in Mental Ray. It rendered fine in Maya software.
I chose to use 'add' as the blend option in the "Layered Texture Node". Also It was important to slide the default color of each file to black as well as turn off wrap U and V in the 2D texture placement.
So now the problem is getting the correct result using the mental ray render. Were you able to get the correct result using the mental ray render? When I rendered with mental ray it appeared to washout the image as if it were multiplying all the color values together.

This issue has been driving me nuts. I sure hope someone can help me solve this.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Zhbdcafe
MayaArtist
portfolio
Zahid Hasan Zitu
No
Sylhet, Bangladesh

May I forgot to test with mental ray. I am now away from my PC and can't test it. But one thing I can ask, have you maintained linear lighting workflow?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhbdcafe
May I forgot to test with mental ray. I am now away from my PC and can't test it. But one thing I can ask, have you maintained linear lighting workflow?

I have gone back into my test scene and applied a gamma correction of .45 and still with MR it renders out incorrectly. Is this what you mean about maintaing a linear lighting work flow? adding a gamma of .45 to the texture files?

I have attached a .jpg of my scene so you can see what I see, along with a .zip of my maya scene. If you plug the gamma into a blinn for example and render with Maya it appears correct but if you plug the gamma into a mia.material.x the image look wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg withMaya.jpg (41.8 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MultiUVmaps_on_oneObject.02.zip (32.9 KB, 0 views)

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Zhbdcafe
MayaArtist
portfolio
Zahid Hasan Zitu
No
Sylhet, Bangladesh

That's confusing. I have not tested with mr and can't do some experiment with ur scene as I am away from my PC. But, have u tried with different blend modes for every texture in the layered texture?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread