Worflow improvements in 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Worflow improvements in 2013

What are the best and most stupid workflow improvements and "improvements" in maya 2013?

Q:
Where is hidden file -> PROJECT -> new button?

A:
Go File => project window -> New (all the way on the right side of the name input field)

Constructive suggestion for devs:
Don't destroy this such important tools in a menu, add new one if needed.

Like SPLIT POLYGON tool (which works), could we have it back as well please.

Thanks

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Last edited by Als : 02 February 2013 at 11:02 AM.

02 February 2013
Being able to Playblast to Quicktime on a 64 bit Windows machine. Very handy for sending WIP previews to clients. Sure you can import an image sequence and save it out with Quicktime Pro but being able to skip those steps is a nice time saver.

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
@Brian:
I'm doing that already.
Having Quicktime as my default player for avi, whenever I playblast it opens up quicktime.
And since I have quicktime Pro, I can easily export out the video to .mp4 or whatever format I want

Edit:
I do agree with you though, being able to playblast directly into some of the well known formats like .mov and .mp4 would be great!

02 February 2013
Indeed, I tend to switch between exporting to F-Check (when I want to scrub or frame by frame an animation to study spacing etc), to Quicktime (when I want to send a quick preview to a client) and to AVI when working on lipsync (I have VLC set as my default AVI player as it has the ability to play back an animation at half speed without pitch shifting the sound, very handy for checking that the mouth and words are lining up properly).

More options are always great.

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
Try and check djv_view

Some tips are here:
http://www.hajimenakamura.com/wordpress/?p=597

For windows user you can create desktop shortcut, then just drag and drop image from explorer and it opens the whole sequence.
You can then save the sequence as quicktime movie or convert it to other file format.
It can open EXR files as well.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by doffer: I do agree with you though, being able to playblast directly into some of the well known formats like .mov and .mp4 would be great!
Don't you mean is great? You *can* playblast quicktimes directly from maya on a 64bit windows machine now. Isn't that what Brian was saying?

02 February 2013
When making a selection of a shape node, why does Maya decide to bring up the transform in the Attribute Editor instead? This might be okay for animators but really sucks for FX. If this is default behaviour then maybe you should be able to change this in prefs. Also if the shape node is already a tab in the attribute editor and is selected in viewport, why doesnt it again bring it to the front?

Sometimes this works, most often it doesnt. Makes Maya look stupid and is very annoying.

Last edited by Aikiman : 02 February 2013 at 08:21 AM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by royg: Don't you mean is great? You *can* playblast quicktimes directly from maya on a 64bit windows machine now. Isn't that what Brian was saying?

oi! you're right. Totally misunderstood the post by Brian as a "it would be nice if I could do this"
I'm on 2012 so that awesome feature hasn't reached me yet. Appologies

02 February 2013
Adding gamma nodes to color swatches and having to match the original color is getting really annoying. Any better workflow?

02 February 2013
I find this tool to be VERY handy if you want to avoid using gamma nodes. Using this script for color picker operations will gamma correct your swatches interactively.

http://www.braverabbit.de/playground/?p=830

It's not a perfect solution, but it's damn close.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Panupat: Adding gamma nodes to color swatches and having to match the original color is getting really annoying. Any better workflow?

you're a V-Ray user right? I added a degamma script to V-Ray Tuner that degamma's all RGB swatches for V-Ray mats:

https://vimeo.com/51760347#

Otherwise, I do this:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumbl...ost/11161061563

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread