CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
ThisIs49th
portfolio

Thumbs down Keyframe Animation While Ignoring Other Keyframes in Between?

Hey, I assume this is a fairly simple question but I just can't seem to figure it out and searching for an answer is difficult since I don't really know what I am looking for.

I have a bouncing ball animated with keyframes for X and Y translation and now I would like to add a constant rotation (or at least something I can tweak depending on when the ball bounces) from the start frame to the end frame.
I can't do this with the timeline however since the keyframes in between already have values for rotation (since I used 'S' for all types of manipulation - is this bad practice when animating? Should I have set just translation keyframes?)

Are their any methods to change the 'type' of keyframe, or just set them back to translation only?

Also, are there any other methods for adding constant rotation to objects or similar kind of concepts other than using keyframes?

Actually I just figured it out just before posting this by using the graph editor and deleting the middle rotation keys, then raising the first keyframe.

I would still like some input for other methods, ect. please! Advise me how to do this properly.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
jonmummery
Veteran
portfolio
Jon Mummery
Senior Animator
Crytek
United Kingdom

I would consider hitting 's' bad practice yes, but everyone has their own methods.
Try hitting shift+w for setting only translation keys, and shift+e for setting rotation only keys.

One other way is via layers, you could use layers to isolate your rotations, for instance you want a constant 360 spin in Y, but a layer could be used to add 'noise' into the rotations on the other Z,X and Y channels without affecting your clean Y 360 base layer.

there are more complex things like a rugby ball spinning around the length of the ball, but you want it to arc as its thrown. this can mess up the spin channels when you set a bunch of keys on the ball directly. so you could have two groups (or locators), the bottom one rotating the spin with a clean 360 infinity consant line , the group above controlling the translation and the arcing rotations.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
ThisIs49th
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmummery
I would consider hitting 's' bad practice yes, but everyone has their own methods.
Try hitting shift+w for setting only translation keys, and shift+e for setting rotation only keys.

One other way is via layers, you could use layers to isolate your rotations, for instance you want a constant 360 spin in Y, but a layer could be used to add 'noise' into the rotations on the other Z,X and Y channels without affecting your clean Y 360 base layer.

there are more complex things like a rugby ball spinning around the length of the ball, but you want it to arc as its thrown. this can mess up the spin channels when you set a bunch of keys on the ball directly. so you could have two groups (or locators), the bottom one rotating the spin with a clean 360 infinity consant line , the group above controlling the translation and the arcing rotations.

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply. I wouldn't have thought to use layers for different parts of an animations, I can definately see that being useful in the future.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread