Maya keeps crashing on starting!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
unknown. open a DOS cmd window and start Maya in GUI mode with command line option -log file.txt

c:\Program Files\Autodesk\maya2013-x64\bin\maya.exe -log logFile.txt

see if anything is output to the log file.

Maya would normally attempt to write out a crash file to the user's temp directory which is usually helpful and/or create a CER (Customer Error Reporting) dialog..

one could try running Maya under a debugger if one is available Visual Studio 2010, or windbg see what the stack trace is like you won't have symbols, but may give a clue to the module.

you are using English US Locale for the computer

Old 02 February 2013   #17
with regards to the DLL's.. when you download and install Maya 2013 you are asked to keep the extracted contents after it is done.. if you do, there's a directory there with the visual c++ redistribution packages you can use the 'un-install' and re-install.. or repair.

would be in a folder somethign like:

E:\Autodesk\Maya_2013_CEJ_Win_64-bit\3rdParty\x86\VCRedist

.\2005SP1ATL (version 6.0.2900.2180)
.\2008SP1 (version 9.0.30729.4148)
.\2010SP1 (version 10.0.40219.1)

before installing them, open your systems "control panel > programs and features" scroll down and check to see what is installed for all the microsoft visual C++ redistributable.

then verify the versions against what came with Maya. if you have any packages that are older in version, uninstall them (or uninstall them all and reinstall fresh from the extracted folder). I have 64bit, so the path is different... you'll need to check yours.

you may also want to do a clean install of your video drivers.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Hey guys sorry about the late reply, was sick for a while. Um I'll look into these and get back to you guys with what I get. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 03 March 2013   #19
@warnold: I just tried running maya in GUI mode with the command line option you mentioned...I couldn't find any log files. But when I searched up logFile.txt in my computer, I kept getting this one file in the search results prlog.h . Is it of any use? And also I couldn't find any crash report files either...I searched in C drive for it, but couldn't find any. I don't really know what to do about this problem...urgh. I'll try re-installing my graphics card driver. Do you think re-installing the OS might fix the problem? Thanks!

And yeah I'm using English US locale.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Originally Posted by Noxmoony: @warnold: I just tried running maya in GUI mode with the command line option you mentioned...I couldn't find any log files. But when I searched up logFile.txt in my computer, I kept getting this one file in the search results prlog.h . Is it of any use? And also I couldn't find any crash report files either...I searched in C drive for it, but couldn't find any. I don't really know what to do about this problem...urgh. I'll try re-installing my graphics card driver. Do you think re-installing the OS might fix the problem? Thanks!

And yeah I'm using English US locale.

For the log file, specify a path for the log file. For example:

maya.exe -log %TEMP%\logFile.txt

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Did you ever check it for a virus like I suggested earlier?
Whatever the case, could you pick up this utility, run it, save a log and post it somewhere to see?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt.../?source=navbar

On Maya's side, could you post the exact contents of the MAYA_MODULE_PATH if it exists in your system. Either from the system's environment variables or from Maya.env.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
@xsisupport: Okay thank you, doing that!

@kanenas: Oh man I completely forgot to check that out...urgh my bad. Um I just downloaded hijackthis and ran it and well I attached the log! Thanks muchly for the help! And as for the MAYA_MODULE_PATH, I couldn't find it..I looked at program files/Common files/Autodesk shared but I didn't even get a module folder! Weird.. is there anyway I can find it? Thanks again!
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis system scan log file.txt (7.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 03 March 2013   #23
@xsisupport: I tried specifying a location, but it doesn't seem to be producing any log files..maya runs and crashes, but no log file. This is what I wrote in cmd: G:Autodesk Maya 2013\Maya2013>bin\maya.exe -log %desktop%logFile.txt

Am I writing the directory wrong?

Old 03 March 2013   #24
I don't see anything strange in the HijackThis log other than some possibles.

1. Why is uTorrent in an unnamed folder?
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "F:\New Folder (4)\uTorrent.exe"

It usually installs in \Program Files\.
Is it a real uTorrent or something else that uses the name?

2. I don't know if the following cause a conflict with Maya's operation since I don't use them.
a. Avro keyboard (Bangladesh keyboard I suppose).
b. Wacom (maybe need new drivers?).
c. nVidia and its 3D support.

3. Disable your Avast antivirus while Maya loads. Maybe some plugin is encoded and Avast doesn't like it. If so, you'll have to find the culprit and remove it.

4. When Maya crashes and shows the popup, it can show you what files it generates for the crash. If one of them ends in .dmp, zip it and post it somewhere. I'll try and have a look at it.

As for MAYA_MODULE_PATH, see if it's defined in the system environment variables.
Open a Command Prompt (in the taskbar's "Run" field, enter "cmd". It will open a Command Prompt.
Type:
set
and you'll get a list. See if there's a MAYA_MODULE_PATH listed there.
Also look at:
C:\Users\your login name goes here\Documents\maya\2013-x64\Maya.env
and see if there's a MAYA_MODULE_PATH there.

You can't replace what xsisupport told you (%TEMP%) with anything you want. Only some values are valid.
To keep it simple, use: maya.exe -log c:\logFile.txt
The file will be on the root of your C: drive. I assume you're an admin in your computer and can write to C:

Old 03 March 2013   #25
kanenas: Firstly thanks for all the help man! And okay, right let's see...

1)well yeah that is a real uTorrent, I just installed it in a folder that I forgot to name and so it's New Folder(4) lol..

2) Well I don't know if they're the culprit either because I've been using them all this time without maya having any problems until well now..but I'll still update my wacom drivers and try uninstalling and updating my nvidia driver.

3)Okay I'll try doing this, and let you know.

4) It can? How can I find it? If I find it I'll zip it up and post it.

Ahhh okay I get it now, thanks for explaining, well I'll try to get the log file. Thank youuuu!!

Old 03 March 2013   #26
I've tried twice to post this as a new topic so I didn't hijack this one, but for some reason my threads seem to just get eaten up when I try to submit. Oh well.

I installed the Maya 2013 trial on OSX (10.7.5), but no matter what I do, I can't get it to start.

When I run it, the icon bounces on the dock for a minute, then it comes to a rest. No splash screen, no GUI, nothing happens other than the appearance of the icon. When I right-click on it, it tell me the program is unresponsive, and I can Force Quit it.

I've had 2012 installed, and that still runs fine.

Also, "maya -batch" does give me a prompt (and I've confirmed that it's 2013's prompt).

Here's what I've tried in terms of troubleshooting:
  • Rebooting
  • Repairing disk permissions
  • Reinstalling on top of the current installation
  • Deleting 2013 and reinstalling
  • Deleting 2013, 2012, and every possible reference to "autodesk" and "maya" on the whole machine and reinstalling
  • Deleting everything again, but using the 2013 SP2 installer.

No matter what I do, the result is always exactly the same. I feel like the only thing I haven't tried is actually formatting the computer, but I really, really don't want to go that far. Does anyone have any insight into what could be wrong?

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Does anyone have any insight? I'm trying to decide whether or not to format my computer today. Obviously I'd rather not, but I'm running out of options.

Old 05 May 2013   #28
Thumbs up

Super late reply I know, but I just wanted to say that recently I had to re-install windows again, and since then Maya's been working without a hitch...but it kinda sucks that I couldn't get it to work otherwise. Thanks a lot for all your help you guys, really do appreciate it. Anyway I'm glad Maya finally works..so now to get crackin on cg stuff XD Ciao all!

Old 07 July 2013   #29
same problem solved thanks to tswalk

Hey guys, i had same problem these days (Maya kept crashing on start no matter what version i install / reinstall) and what tswalk wrote, helped me. I checked into my control panel and i had several different versions of visual C++ installed. I uninstalled all of them, installed newest visual C++ from that i downloaded from google, restarted computer and now Maya finally works. Thanks tswalk.

Old 07 July 2013   #30
It could have also been the settings on the video card. I had to double check triple buffering was off in my Nvidia settings.

:|| My CG Blog ||:
:|| My Maya FAQ ||:
:|| PMM Linear Lighting Buddy||:

Thread Closed share thread