Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Exclamation Maya keeps crashing on starting!

Hey guys,
there's this problem I've been havin with maya for the last couple of days. So I was using the student version of maya 2012 32-bit and I've been using it for a while now without any problems..but a while back while I was working maya crashed, and ever since then everytime I try opening maya, it crashes. It doesn't even open fully, the output window opens and then maya crashes and an error message pops up saying something about a run.dll error causing it to terminate. I even uninstalled and re-installed it a couple of times (and cleaned the registry entries) but to no avail..so I got maya 2013 at the suggestion of a friend but while it doesn't seem to have the run.dll problem anymore, it still won't start up and it just crashes everytime I turn it on...I'm at my wits end with this problem...I'd be really grateful if someone could share a solution to this problem. I wasn't even working on a heavy project, I was just modeling a simple character (around 4K polys). Oh and I use windows 7 32-bit and here's my config:

Core2 duo 1.8GHz
4GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 Gb

I don't think the config is the issue here, I mean I've been using maya for more than a year without any problems...so I don't know why suddenly this came up :S

Thanks,
Mony

Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Haikuka

portfolio
Claire
Student
CFAD
Cape Town, South Africa

This has happened to a few people I know. So far, the only sure fire way I know of fixing it is to install maya again.

It sucks, but its probably the quickest, simplest fix

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Yeah I already uninstalled and re-installed maya a couple of times..but it wasn't of any use. Heck I even got maya 2013...but it still keeps crashing...Thanks for the comment tho. I sure hope I can find a fix soon, really sucks...

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
warnold
Frequenter
Wayne Arnold
Canada

Moving aside your prefs directory is a 1st step, instead of reinstalling

Try running in batch mode

Windows: mayabatch -prompt
Linux/Ma: maya -prompt

See what messages you get

Windows: GUI mode with log. maya -log logFile.txt

Before starting maya one could set environment variable

MAYA_DEBUG_ENABLE_CRASH_REPORTING=1

May give a bit more info o. Where the crash is happening

Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Moving aside the prefs directory eh? Currently it's in my c drive which is where it stays by default after installation. But since maya doesn't open I can't change it from there...is there some other way I can change it? Also by running Maya in batch mode do you mean to make a .bat file and running Maya using that? Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try giving that a shot!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
warnold
Frequenter
Wayne Arnold
Canada

On Windows, your Maya prefs are located in your user directory Documents directory

\Users\<username>\Documents\maya\2013-x64\

rename this directory to move aside your prefs

to run Maya in batch mode, open a DOS command window to run the command.
If mayabatch.exe is not in your PATH (shouldn't be) you will need to give the full path to the executable or go to the directory

cd \Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013
bin\mayabatch -prompt

if you want to set a different Maya prefs/project area you can set the Environment Variable MAYA_APP_DIR to some directory where you have write access

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Ahh okay, thanks muchly for the help. I'll try that out rightaway. But I got one more question, when you say rename the directory, do you mean to rename the directory itself or the folder containing maya preference file? If you do mean to rename the directory itself, then where exactly do I rename the directory? I'm sorry for all the stupid questions...but I gotta make things clear XD Again, thanks muchly for your help!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

you can rename the main "maya" directory to say "maya.backup"

\Users\<username>\Documents\maya

to:

\Users\<username>\Documents\maya.backup

and maya will recreate it.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

@Tswalk: Thanks a lot for the reply, I did that and it made a new maya folder...in the same drive. Was that the intention?

@Warnold: I did as you told, and this is what I get. (I've attached a screenshot here) So what do I do next? Also how do I set the Environment Variable MAYA_APP_DIR to a different directory? I don't know much mel...

As you can prolly see I'm a hyper noob here...so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayabatch screenshot.JPG (34.8 KB, 22 views)

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
warnold
Frequenter
Wayne Arnold
Canada

the maya directory will be recreated by Maya on starting. this will reset to default the prefs for all versions of Maya. if you had only renamed the Maya2013-x64 sub-directory you would have any reset Maya 2013's prefs to default.

Maya starts up in batch mode, so the installation should be ok

does Maya now start up normally

environment variables are part of the OS. Maya can check EV settings and do different things depending on what/how they are set.

For Windows: in a DOS command window one uses the DOS command set <EnvironmentVariableName>=<Value>

i.e. set MAYA_APP_DIR=C:\Users\<userName>\newDirForMaya
the directory will probably need to exist

for GUI something like: My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment can then choose either User to System.

Maya will look in a file named Maya.env for EV settings. Not all EVs can be put into this file, as some checks may be done before this file is located. MAYA_APP_DIR is one that can't go into the file, as Maya.env is found in the User's prefs directory, either top level maya or in the Maya versioned directory maya\maya2013-x64

Last edited by warnold : 02-14-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Hey Warnold thanks a lot for all your help man. Well I tried turning on maya normally but it doesn't work...it crashes. Wait here's a screenshot of what happens after I turn on maya: clicky
And thanks for explaining environment variables to me, I'll look into it when I get back from work. And I use the 32 bit version of maya by the way, just lettin ya know....again thanks a lot!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
MarioC
Veteran

Mario
Head of 3D
Greentube I.E.S.
Vienna, Austria

Send a message via ICQ to MarioC Send a message via MSN to MarioC
As I know the dll causing the problem is not from Autodesk but from Microsoft Visual Studio, so reinstalling does not help anything Fix the dll, try again, should work:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/d....shtml?msvcr100

Also test other programs, maybe the dll died due to a hardware problem. Hopefully it is not your HDD fading..

Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
warnold
Frequenter
Wayne Arnold
Canada

you can download the latest Microsoft VC10 sp1 runtime package

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=26999

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
kanenas
Veteran
portfolio
Terry Kanenas
Montreal, Canada

Wasn't the original error referring to some "run.dll"?

Most probably, nothing to do with Maya or any service packs.
Just a plain old virus.

"Run.dll" is used to load up a routine during computer startup.
It loads many valid routines but it could load anything.

Find somebody who knows this stuff to give you a hand, run Sysinternals' Autoruns and look at the 'run.dll's that start up automatically.
If any of them start a file from some TEMP folder, or even a normal Windows file from the wrong location, kill the program they run, disable its entry in Autoruns or clean its registry manually. Reboot and you might get lucky.

You could also try HijackThis! instead of Autoruns.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
Noxmoony
Veteran

portfolio
F J Mony
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Hey guys thanks for all the replies, I really appreciated it.

@MarioC: I just tried fixing the dll file..and it still doesn't work. Everything else works fine (Photoshop, After Effects, Flash, Zbrush, firefox, chrome, games, etc etc). It's just Maya that's being a bugger....and I sure hope it's not my HDD fading...that'd be so lame cause I can't afford a new hard disk right now

@warnold: Will updating it help?

@kanenas: Hmm a virus eh? Well I'll give that a shot then. Thanks a lot for the help...I'll need all the luck I can get here XD

Thread Closed share thread