Maya on M$'s Surface Pro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Maya on M$'s Surface Pro

Has anyone tested Maya on M$ Surface Pro?
Any clues ?
Is it usable at all ?

02 February 2013
i'm sure it would be ok, just don't expect any miracles in viewport.. or rendering lol.

02 February 2013
the Surface Pro doesn't have a discrete GPU so it would be the same as running it on a Mac mini or MacBook Air - not recommended but it could work.

02 February 2013
Yep, first thing I did once getting the Surface Pro was test out all the major art apps I rely on.
This included Maya. It works as well as one would imagine on a dual core intel i5 with 4 gigs of ram and an intel hd 4000 gpu.

I personally enjoyed working in Blender (modified to act and feel like Maya) more though based on how small the screen. The blender interface is far more easy to navigate on the tiny screen than say with Maya's general UI.

The downside, there is practically NO pen pressure for the major art apps outside of Autodesk sketchbook and ArtRage. So sculpting in 3d with pen pressure is a no go atm.

I havent tested it, but I hear others can get wacom based pens to work on the Pro, which leads me to believe that it still is a wacom digitizer inside, but neither wacom or microsoft wants to call it a wacom. It relies solely on wintab drivers atm.

Anyways, makes a great portable cg computer, but ultimately not a replacement for a full desktop rig depending on the type of cg being done.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread