Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

character movement is very sluggish

i cant begin to understand whats going on or why
but in a previous version of my maya file if i moved the character it would be pretty responsive

but now its really really sluggish and cant understand what happened why its sluggish now

i refined the character mesh some more and changed the shaders, didnt touch the rig, added a hair system

dont understand what i could have messed it up

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4181907/Sophia_v64.ma
http://db.tt/7S4gLq3G

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Your scene is totally unorganized. You have 100s of empty groups and curves floating all over the place. Not only that - all of your geometry still have tons of construction history.

Before you rig, you have to clean up and organize your scene. Delete all history, make the model as clean as possible. Geometry deformation from rigs alone will generate tons of graph connections already, you don't want to add extra load by having all the history there.

Seriously. Revert back to the state before you rig and clean/organize your model first.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
nelson-press
PRO
portfolio
nelson press
toronto, USA

attempted to clean it up a bit, organize stuff in outliner a bit

used edit>delete by type>history
to delete some of the history

and when i did that i seemed to have lost all of my skinning (is that supposed to happen? how do you delete history without loosing skinning on rig?)

but something else came up, when you parent something to something else, the parents transformations are supposed to effect the childs right?
well when i have these eye controls parented to this big eyes control, and move the big parent eyes controls, the small child eye controls dont move

dont understand whats going on :/

oh yeah after i did all that cleaning and organizing the file size dropped by 50% and everything seems to be running smoother now ^^ (but what happened to my skinning T_T)

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

A way around would be to save your skin weight and import it back in. I'm not a rigger so I can't really tell you more about this.

Anyway. Now you know that deleting history can ruin your skin weight (along with many other things actually). That is why it's very important to clean up models before the rigging begins.

Last edited by Panupat : 02-10-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread