Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #61
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

i really think having visibility layers an render layer screws with shading groups on render layers
as your assign the model to multiple layers an applying different shaders to it, most of my experience has been this breaks all the time. unless im doing something wrong. :/

Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #62
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
Professional Keyboard Turner
Autodesk Games Group
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskloss
Shawn I understand the 32bit limitation, but shouldn't this not be the case on 64bit OS? We have 32GB machines and it seems like they are underutilized. Just wondering.

Not everyone is on a 64-bit OS and not all tools are 64-bit either - if you look at a lot of the game development world only now are you starting to see more 64-bit runtimes, tools and editors being made available. The last thing you want to do in an application like Maya is make assumptions that because 64-bit OS's have been around for years that everyone has already migrated their entire pipelines to them and strand everyone who hasn't.

As for system usage it's just the inherent nature of computing unfortunately and while we've had multicore processors for some time now there's not really a lot of applications out there that leverage threaded processing. There are things that thread well and scale quite well and there are other things which don't and you wind up spending more time initializing threads and doing other things which costs you performance. If threading were as simple as saying numCores = maxSystemCores and suddenly performance was up 400% every application under the sun would be fully threaded Same can be said for people who say "just use a GPU for all the evaluation!".

We're always trying to find ways to optimize or refactor things under the hood though sometimes you find areas where 100% of your users will see a benefit and other times you might optimize an area that 5% of your users see a benefit. Performance is also the carrot on the stick with you on a treadmill where suddenly things are faster so users throw more data at the program and thus you're back at square one again.

-s

Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #63
mustique
Expert
copywriter

Converting code for multithreading or gpu computing is not an easy task especially for an app like maya I see. But there's really no reason to go all 64 bit these days. I mean if there was a poll on how many studios/freelancers still use maya on a 32 bit OS, I'd really be surprised if it was more than %1.

I really hate to see the precious time of devs at ADSK still wasted for 32 bit compatibility.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #64
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

One thing I would really love, is some attention to rigging.
Best of all, a good autorigger. Something like the Biped from max in terms of setup and matching it to a custom character, but animateable like a classic rig (schleifer style).
It would just save so much time for a lot of people it think.

Or at least update the tool. Like adding stretch to the ik. Seems a bit old fashioned, having to set it up every time, if you don't mind me saying

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #65
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

^ Personally I feel that would be a waste of valuable development time. For one reason there's no way to create a rig that will meet the needs of every production, there are simply too many variables involved. For another there are lots of auto riggers already available, both free and paid, a lot of them are pretty good. Any TD with basic coding skills (cough) can build their own to suit the needs of a particular production too. Stretchy IK setup stuff is included in Bonus Tools for those who don't have those skills.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #66
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskloss
We are having serious issues assembling our scenes using references. It corrupts the scenes every so often. Large data sets are killing Maya almost 50% of the time.

I'm reduced to tears when Maya decides to corrupt references - it basically destroys everything in the scene, like a cruel joke. I've issued multiple reproducible scenes and AD staff have been helpful.

I've seen in the latest sub release there are three dot points relating to "fixing reference" issues, so hopefully this is what I think it is.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #67
luceric
Frequenter
No longer user this account
Canada

Quote:
binary files have always been limited to 2gb due to being 32 bit memory address but ASCII should not be limited by that constraint.
actually, the two things are unrelated; 32-bit apps can use files with 64-bit pointers. the problem with .mb lies in the design of the IFF file format which it uses. IFF only supports 32-bit offsets and therefore can't describe files larger than 64-bit. the team is aware of these issues.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #68
BoostAbuse
slerping quaternions

Shawn McClelland
Professional Keyboard Turner
Autodesk Games Group
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
Converting code for multithreading or gpu computing is not an easy task especially for an app like maya I see. But there's really no reason to go all 64 bit these days. I mean if there was a poll on how many studios/freelancers still use maya on a 32 bit OS, I'd really be surprised if it was more than %1.

I really hate to see the precious time of devs at ADSK still wasted for 32 bit compatibility.

Talk to game studios and ask how many still have 32-bit tools It doesn't cost anything to support these things my point was more about backwards compatability and pipeline compatability. You'd be surprised at just how big 1% can be in the Maya community.

I would tend to disagree on not being able to generalize an auto rigger actually as I'm always reminded of the XSI rig builder or Biped as other people have pointed out. You'd never be able to build the be all end all of rigs but nothing would stop you from building a really solid base foundation that assembled a skeleton, various rig elements/controls and then let you bolt additional pieces on top. Plus, how many animators are just sick and tired of animating with the same rigs everyone else uses? If you could just place a skeleton and then create a rig to animate with in a few button clicks wouldn't that be easier than tracking down someone to rig something for you or having to learn all about advanced rigging yourself?

I'd say that's my $0.02 but Canada got rid of the penny so that will be my $0.05 rounded up.

-s

Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #69
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse
If you could just place a skeleton and then create a rig to animate with in a few button clicks wouldn't that be easier than tracking down someone to rig something for you or having to learn all about advanced rigging yourself?

Of course that's useful, but part of my point was that there are already a lot of tools out there for Maya that do just this, several are available for free on Creative Crash.

Having said that.. I quite like it personally when people track me down to rig something for them, helps pays the bills sometimes

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #70
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

I completely agree that you would never be able to satisfy any studios needs 100% with a built in auto rig in maya, but you could come a LONG way, with something like CAT.
Most importantly is the animateability once it's built. And for that, the Biped is not good.
The autorigger in XSI looks nice, though I've never animated with it.

A modular rigger, where you can built you own with a spine, legs and such, to create anything from a human, to a horse, to a spider, and then save out that template, would be nice.

I know of course, that one could do that "relatively" easy with maya. After all, that is the strength of Maya. BUT, there is something about having it native in the app, that makes it very convenient.

But I understand it from your POV as well, Brian.
Don't want to take away your bread and butter

Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #71
hanskloss
Polynator

portfolio
Przemek Lodej
Poly/Pixel pusher
Detroit, USA

Send a message via ICQ to hanskloss
I'm not much of an animator, but from whatever rigging and animating I did in the past I can say that having a somewhat automated rigging system is a life saver. The only question is what is an automated rigging system and what should it consist of functionality wise?
I remember when I first started getting into 3d (around 1999) and got my hands on Nichimen Graphics Mirai. It had an amazing, even by today's standards, rigging system/toolset. Not only were the bones created out of polygonal objects, meaning that they were renderable, but you could create a single bone and using basic polygonal tools cut it into sections thus creating joints. To take it even further and to put to shame even some of todayís applications, the newly created joints had active, mutable IK/FK chains already attached to them. The need to create IK/FK chains was virtually nonexistent in Mirai and the process of switching or blending IK to FK was simplified to a slider and checkbox. If Maya is to be THE animation package why not think of a similar functionality. Iíve been trying to understand the philosophy behind the Maya development process and it just doesnít make sense to me.
Just to add, I would absolutely love to see some kind of contextual menu for bones, joints, IK/FK chains and controllers. Instead of going to the channel editor all the time why not call out virtual sliders in the view port per joint or chain? Much more modern, elegant an dfaster.

Last edited by hanskloss : 02-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #72
doffer
Keying everything

portfolio
Christoffer Andersen
Animator
Valence, France

Yeah, perhaps a full autorigger isn't the solution, but it just seems like the whole rigging paradigm in maya could use an update. I mean, it works now i guess (well, obviously it does), but 12 years ago Animator Friendly Rigging came out and it still seems like that is how it is done, and in an area like rigging, that seems like a long time to me without significant updates.

Perhaps I have just missed the big, grand scale updates in the rigging dept.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #73
bazuka
Expert
portfolio
bazuka .
Fluid/Lighting/Shading TD
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse
You should go into the psychic medium business, I hear speculation fetches big money there.

Przemek binary files have always been limited to 2gb due to being 32 bit memory address but ASCII should not be limited by that constraint.

My friend, u dont want me to say everything i wanna say coz lots of people will be very disappointed, let me remind u that xsi and max has better integration of mr than maya....

2nd im not using mr for more than 5years not, and also let me remind u there are bugs from maya 8!

for last 10years AD didnt add any creative tools (like ICE, Thinking particles) implement/integrate mental ray into maya not wrap it around it, thats why users have a lots of probl trying to make something work the right way

do u really think that with 'mental ray 2014' maya users will be happy?

most of these tools r not developed inside AD, they are all bought it from people/studios, my friend

i think u should better think fast coz, as my friend Vik said, houdini will take over everything...

thats enough from me for now......

Last edited by bazuka : 02-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #74
mustique
Expert
copywriter

So guess there we have our first leak...

Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #75
bazuka
Expert
portfolio
bazuka .
Fluid/Lighting/Shading TD
United Kingdom

its not a leak i just hate when guys from AD think that we 'users' are f***** fools...

reply share thread