Next Maya out soon - any previews out there?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2013
Well there is one aspect of the next version of Maya to look forward to... the price hike.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by gauranga108: I'd like to see open exr 2.0 and deep compositing in mental ray.

Careful what you wish for or you'll find yourself breaking the bank buying more HD space.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: ya, it's not an automatic acceptance thing. They need to know you're legitimate.

We just roll dice to see who gets in. Anyone who rolls a 20 is accepted.

I wondered when one of these threads was going to arise.. few months late this year

02 February 2013
haha, just found out that one of the 'main' updates in 2014 is mental ray,

dont know about u guys but im already disappointed...

cheers

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: haha, just found out that one of the 'main' updates in 2014 is mental ray,

cheers

Nice attitude.

02 February 2013
can i get the one that works Please

02 February 2013
We were are waiting for truly functioning reference editor and large scene support.

02 February 2013
hanskloss: Freaking tell me about it, such bs

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by hanskloss: We were are waiting for truly functioning reference editor and large scene support.

what about scene assembly..?

02 February 2013
We are having serious issues assembling our scenes using references. It corrupts the scenes every so often. Large data sets are killing Maya almost 50% of the time. It may have something to do with the way the data is prepared before it is imported, but still. Can't understand why we can't save scenes larger than 2GB. Dealing with large CAD data sets is an utter bitch sometimes.

In the outliner when you split it in half why the hell can't you change the names of the nodes like you can in the upper section of the window?!! Just curious.

Sometimes when I import my data I can't click select individual components, but I can marque select things. Anyone anyone?

It's stupid little things like that that hinder efficiency.
And for crying out loud can we please consolidate display and render layers into one. There is no need for two. Assign rendering properties per layers using layer menus.
Anyways, I'm hoping for performance improvements.

Last edited by hanskloss : 02 February 2013 at 07:36 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: haha, just found out that one of the 'main' updates in 2014 is mental ray,

cheers

You should go into the psychic medium business, I hear speculation fetches big money there.

Przemek binary files have always been limited to 2gb due to being 32 bit memory address but ASCII should not be limited by that constraint.

Last edited by BoostAbuse : 02 February 2013 at 07:12 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by BoostAbuse: Przemek binary files have always been limited to 2gb due to being 32 bit memory address but ASCII should not be limited by that constraint.

Shawn I understand the 32bit limitation, but shouldn't this not be the case on 64bit OS? We have 32GB machines and it seems like they are underutilized. Just wondering.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by hanskloss: And for crying out loud can we please consolidate display and render layers into one. There is no need for two. .

Noooo! Separate means more flexible (and less chance of animators breaking things) IMO.

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Noooo! Separate means more flexible (and less chance of animators breaking things) IMO.

Cheers,
Brian

I'm not asking to consolidate animation layers, just display and render layers. You could add a lock render layer feature to prevent anyone screwing things up, just in case
Just thinking out loud.

02 February 2013
I didn't think you meant animation layers. I wouldn't like display layers and render layers to be combined as display layers get turned on and off by animators all the time while they generally don't touch the render layers. Out of sight and all that...

Cheers,
Brian

reply share thread