CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
FerryP
Parttime lurker
 
FerryP's Avatar
portfolio
Ferry Passchier
2D/3D artist
The Hague, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 217
Glass acts weird

Hi CGTalk,

I use mental ray for rendering and gave all the glass in this building a mia-material with glass preset.
Now when there is only one layer of glass everything is fine. But now that I have a glass box behind another wall of glass, strange things happen.
You would say that this is because of the trace settings, but I have those set high enough.

Someone has any ideas on what to change?

Thanks!


__________________
Ferry Passchier [2D/3D Visualizer + Fan Photographer]
Facebook - Twitter - Instagram
^
Most updates here
 
Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
FerryP
Parttime lurker
 
FerryP's Avatar
portfolio
Ferry Passchier
2D/3D artist
The Hague, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 217
Anyone?...
__________________
Ferry Passchier [2D/3D Visualizer + Fan Photographer]
Facebook - Twitter - Instagram
^
Most updates here
 
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
kosingcg
Tatlong Dimension
 
kosingcg's Avatar
portfolio
Oliver Magno
Render TD
MPC - Montreal
Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerryP
Hi CGTalk,

I use mental ray for rendering and gave all the glass in this building a mia-material with glass preset.
Now when there is only one layer of glass everything is fine. But now that I have a glass box behind another wall of glass, strange things happen.
You would say that this is because of the trace settings, but I have those set high enough.

Someone has any ideas on what to change?




Thanks!




Sorry but I might have a tired eyes, can you elaborate what you are expecting to be the outcome of your render, your glass seems to be very reflective and if you have large amount of ray tracing you will get a multiple reflection on the interior mirror.
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
FerryP
Parttime lurker
 
FerryP's Avatar
portfolio
Ferry Passchier
2D/3D artist
The Hague, Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosingcg
Sorry but I might have a tired eyes, can you elaborate what you are expecting to be the outcome of your render, your glass seems to be very reflective and if you have large amount of ray tracing you will get a multiple reflection on the interior mirror.


The "problem" is that the glass turns white on places where they are overlapping. Multiple reflections aren't the problem, the white areas are.

But I have fixed it...I had to increase both the Raytrace Shadow Attributes from my lightshape AND the Trace Shadow Depth in the render settings.
__________________
Ferry Passchier [2D/3D Visualizer + Fan Photographer]
Facebook - Twitter - Instagram
^
Most updates here
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
kosingcg
Tatlong Dimension
 
kosingcg's Avatar
portfolio
Oliver Magno
Render TD
MPC - Montreal
Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerryP
The "problem" is that the glass turns white on places where they are overlapping. Multiple reflections aren't the problem, the white areas are.

But I have fixed it...I had to increase both the Raytrace Shadow Attributes from my lightshape AND the Trace Shadow Depth in the render settings.


is it a scaled cube or a plane only?
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,481
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.