Maya child windows behavior in OSX

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
sweet - nice tip. Thx

Old 03 March 2013   #32
Originally Posted by luceric: try setting the environment variable MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT to zero. for example, in the Terminal shell you could do "export MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT=0" then launch maya from there. I think you may be able to set it in maya.env as well.
this particular behavior you're looking for should now work.

Fogging ey mate. Really that's all it took. So much for not knowing much programming eh.

setting it up in osx Maya.env MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT=0 back to the good ol days it seems. Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #33
Originally Posted by luceric: try setting the environment variable MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT to zero. for example, in the Terminal shell you could do "export MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT=0" then launch maya from there. I think you may be able to set it in maya.env as well.

This is arguably the best OSX tip a Windows devotee ever came up with! Thanks!

Old 03 March 2013   #34

I have been looking for this solution since moving to Maya 2012. Thank you!

Old 03 March 2013   #35

That's a nice tip. Maybe there's something similar that prevents windows from changing focus when I press "command" or switch apps? For example, if I have Graph Editor, Hypershade, UV Editor and Renderview all open, I can change the focus by merely hovering over a window and pressing command. Annoying, but maybe it serves a purpose for some people. Then again, it's totally inconsistent. If the Render Settings or Tool Settings windows are floating over the other windows and I push "command", the top windows are ignored and the back windows pop to the front. This strange behavior is in addition to the problem with simply switching apps back and forth and watching windows pop to the front in a spastic and almost completely random way.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
ok - so I just found an instance that shows why this tweak shouldn't be the default behaviour in OS X:

https://vimeo.com/61116553

On Linux the Node Editor window still sits on top.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread