CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyro
Still hoping Shawn will get back to us with some insider info on the issue (*fingers crossed*)

the issue is simply the QT interface, it doesn't comply with OS standards.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #17
FUG1T1VE
portfolio
Eduardo
Los Angeles, USA

No I remember Maya 2010 behaving like it should on osx. if you minimized a window it would stay minimized. If you had multiple windows open they would stay hidden if you single clicked on the main maya ui as oppose to 2012 where every windows goes on top.

back in 2010 only if you did a command+tab would all the maya windows get first priority. This is not the case with 2012. so at one point Maya behaved like it should. Hmmm

Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUG1T1VE
No I remember Maya 2010 behaving like it should on osx. if you minimized a window it would stay minimized. If you had multiple windows open they would stay hidden if you single clicked on the main maya ui as oppose to 2012 where every windows goes on top.

back in 2010 only if you did a command+tab would all the maya windows get first priority. This is not the case with 2012. so at one point Maya behaved like it should. Hmmm

Qt was introduced in Maya 2011, no?

It's just really annoying because I built a script on the only machine I have: a Windows PC. Everything worked just fine, but after preliminary publication all these bugreports came in out of the blue and they were all OSX related. It never occured to me that the interface (Qt) could be the source of such trouble, you don't take that into account when developing a script with a unified interface library like Qt. And without a dedicated OSX machine debugging is impossible.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
FUG1T1VE
portfolio
Eduardo
Los Angeles, USA

its those users who just want stuff to work like we were used to maybe one day.

I heard that from people who've written scripts in win and are faulty in osx. I haven't of anything the other way around.. :/
what type of script did you write.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Its a GUI Picker that sits in a dockControl. I have issues with resizing the conrols, making use of certain modifiers (ctrl) when capturing clicks on buttons and even drag-and-drop behviour breaking for no apparent reason.
I'm forced to tell my users that OSX support is not official and that any issues they encounter must be dealt with by themselves as there's not much I can do about it.

I'm wondering if using PyQt to build all the controls (widgets) my resolve some issues, but I'm not going to learn that just to work around problems that have no reason to exist in the first place.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecos
the issue is simply the QT interface, it doesn't comply with OS standards.

Hmmm, sorry, but where does that come from?

In first place if it was Qt (not QT) in general you would see the same issues on windows, which you don't. If anything, it's actual compliance to the OS that defaults to this behaviour.

Beside that, Qt 4.7 introduced Mac specific widgets for such things, differentiating between windows and views, and offering the difference between owning the sorting ID, or having views as children of a window. Not a Qt issue if it doesn't get implemented that way though.

4.7 was available in beta in early 2010 already, RC at the beginning of Q3, and final by the end of the year, which excuses Maya 2011 for not implementing it, but not following releases so much (unless they found bugs with that widget, which I wouldn't know of since I'm not really a Mac user.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
FUG1T1VE
portfolio
Eduardo
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Not a Qt issue if it doesn't get implemented that way though.

4.7 was available in beta in early 2010 already, RC at the beginning of Q3, and final by the end of the year, which excuses Maya 2011 for not implementing it, but not following releases so much (unless they found bugs with that widget, which I wouldn't know of since I'm not really a Mac user.

interesting. interesting. so then this behavior was implemented into osx version of maya. Such a shame. Not much of a code person, and haven't read much about this til recently.
If that's the case I do hope it gets taken off in future releases.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
julsVFX
Veteran

portfolio
Julius I.
Double Negative
London, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
I'm in the other camp. A floating window should float and the last thing I want is a tool options window going behind the main window. X-Windows is no poster child for how windows should behave and I can understand that the Mac way feels wrong coming from Linux but it would be awful if OS X behaved like X-Windows. It drives me nuts when I use Linux. But there's no reason the app can't do it it's just that it's not all or nothing, like with Linux. If you want to hide the window, minimize it to the dock

From what I know Linux is the only platform that allows you to choose if you always want the floating windows to stay on top of the main window or not. Afaik you don't have that choice on Windows or OS X.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
luceric
Frequenter
No longer user this account
Canada

Quote:
I've only really ever used Windows as a main OS (never Linux), so I have to ask:
why would one ever want one application's toolboxes and assorted child windows to cover another application when the latter has focus?

Not dinging on anyone, I'm really just curious as to what reason might exist for such a preference.

it's baffling, but that's an OS X feature, someone from Apple told me so . You often end up with a mess of windows on OSX compared to the same thing on Windows, where everything is generally structured in containers. In OS X, if you click one window of an app, that window will go to the top of the global window stack, and the other window of the apps will remain where they were. So you can end up with a Safari or Finder in-between the child windows of the currently focused application. However, you'll never notice if you switch apps with the keyboard, because it was tweaked to emulate the Windows behavior in the early days, and that changes the z order of all the windows of an app together.

however, what this thread talks about is the fact that every window in maya is parented to the main maya window, and therefore you can't quickly hide them with cmd~ It's the same thing as on Windows.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by luceric
it's baffling, but that's an OS X feature, someone from Apple told me so . You often end up with a mess of windows on OSX compared to the same thing on Windows, where everything is generally structured in containers. In OS X, if you click one window of an app, that window will go to the top of the global window stack, and the other window of the apps will remain where they were. So you can end up with a Safari or Finder in-between the child windows of the currently focused application. However, you'll never notice if you switch apps with the keyboard, because it was tweaked to emulate the Windows behavior in the early days, and that changes the z order of all the windows of an app together.

I know this behaviour, and I find it absolutely horrible. It's one of those things when my mac-afficionado friends (trying hard here not to throw around the word that starts with fan and ends with boy) start praising how apple revolutionized UI design and whatnot I can't but shake my head in unbelief. The fact that I have to look at the top of the screen and read the title of the program in that taskbar-thingy just to find out what program has focus...

Quote:
however, what this thread talks about is the fact that every window in maya is parented to the main maya window, and therefore you can't quickly hide them with cmd~ It's the same thing as on Windows.

Actually, the point I'm making is that with the introduction of Qt, child-windows do not behave like they are parented to the main window. At least not ones I create myself (it doesn't seem to happen for floating attribute editor, tool options, etc.). Those just stay at the top of the Z-stack no matter what program/window I switch to. Someone else mentioned that this is a feature in Unix systems, hence the environment variable in Maya that allows you toggle it on and off (for Unix only). As I said, I can't understand why anyone would want this behaviour, but seeing as it's not native to OSX/Windows and obviously not planned, it must be a bug in the Qt implementation under those systems. Actually, on OSX only, as this has never happened to me on Windows.

As for quickly hiding them: you can create a hotkey to hide any child-window and display it again.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
luceric
Frequenter
Canada

Quote:
IActually, the point I'm making is that with the introduction of Qt, child-windows do not behave like they are parented to the main window. At least not ones I create myself (it doesn't seem to happen for floating attribute editor, tool options, etc.). Those just stay at the top of the Z-stack no matter what program/window I switch to.

right.. isn't this specific to the dockControls? I think you can work around by not putting it in child of a dockControl. Actually the built-in dockable windows in maya like the attribute editor are also affected by the problem.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Quote:
right.. isn't this specific to the dockControls? I think you can work around by not putting it in child of a dockControl. Actually the built-in dockable windows in maya like the attribute editor are also affected by the problem.

That's not a workaround. That's downgrading my UI in an effort to step around a glaring issue.
A workaround would be to put my UI in a dockControl when it's docked, and in a normal window when its floating. But that's a major effort, to be honest, not in the least because of the mysterious ways in which a window 'vanishes' when placed as the 'content' of a dockControl (and omitting the window entirely, i.e. making a layout the direct child of a dockControl, introduces a whole new set of problems; I've tried).

As far as I'm concerned, it's a bug. But then, I do realise it's very unlikely to be high enough on the priority list to receive any attention from the devs at this point. Not that I care, I use windows

Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #28
luceric
Frequenter
Canada

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, it's a bug. But then, I do realise it's very unlikely to be high enough on the priority list to receive any attention from the devs at this point. Not that I care, I use windows

I'll discuss it with maya ui developers

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

I appreciate that!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
luceric
Frequenter
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyia
At work, I recently started using Maya on Mac OSX, after having always used it on Linux, and I'm really baffled by the child windows behavior (think Hypershade, Graph Editor, Script Editor, etc...)

The shortcut Cmd+~ does switch focus between child windows, but they stay on top of the main window.

try setting the environment variable MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT to zero. for example, in the Terminal shell you could do "export MAYA_SET_PARENT_HINT=0" then launch maya from there. I think you may be able to set it in maya.env as well.
this particular behavior you're looking for should now work.

Thread Closed share thread