CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Isaac Bratzel
3D Visual Effects Artist
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates
Maya 2013 Animation Layer Issue

Having a specific issue within Maya 2013. Itís hard to explain, but take a look and let me know if you have any knowledge of the solution.
This regards Animation Layers: previously, with animation layers you could have base animation, add an animation layer, and within that new layer you could middle click and drag on the timeline to set a key matching a previous position/pose, and have it set that key in world space. Basically it would offset the animation from the base animation layer and allow that key in the animation layer to be in the same world space as the key being copied.
This was an invaluable asset, particularly when working with motion capture.
Unfortunately, using Maya 2013 this functionality is no longer intact. It appears Maya now adds the key in the animation layer to the base animation, resulting in double transforms, rather than an offset.
Sorry if this is confusing. As I said itís a particularly difficult issue to explain in writing.
Any help appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Where's my pony?
David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Isaac, I tried it out in 2012 and 2013 and can confirm that something weird is happening in 2013. As far as I can tell they only half broke it though. As you said, when you middle drag and key position in 2013 it appears as though you get a double transform at the moment you set the key. But I found if I changed current time (eg step back and then forward) then that double transform went away, so the end result is the same as in 2012. Seems like a bug though (unless I'm misunderstanding some new feature of course).

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Isaac Bratzel
3D Visual Effects Artist
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates
Hey djx,
I tested this, and my software is not even giving me that much. Changing time (stepping through timeline) does not update anything.

HOWEVER! It appears by creating an Overide Layer (layers-Create Overide Layer) as opposed to a regular animation layer, this functionality still exists.

Hopefully this method will hold up, and not create any problems with my workflow.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Lord of the posts
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA
JMHO: Avoid using animation layers in anything more than a simple scene.
If animation couldn't change the world, it wouldn't be such a Micky-Mouse place.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread