Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaynights
I don't get that idea with the 4 open maya.exe's. How that works when modelling and stuff.... But I also model in Softimage and consider going back and forth since both have there advantages.

I'm a bit tongue in cheek there - I really do only use this when an operation takes several minutes to complete in Maya.

I do think that most of the bottleneck is at the software end of things though, but follow the advice in this thread in regards to the new GPU.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness

Thus I think urging people to get the best GPU within their budget is still a good idea.

I kinda assume the OP probably thought they were buying the best GPU in their budget? Does anybody buy the least GPU for their budget?

Give people faster hardware and they will just try to display even more fully textured geo with it etc.. there's some sort of "rule" about this.. like Moore's Law but different.

Anyway.. if you are working with the above scene.. and you are art directing the leaves on the bush in the foreground does it really matter if everything in the background is displayed while you do that, especially if having all that other stuff displayed is bringing your machine to it's knees?

From my point of view.. since the end result is always from the software renderer there is very little use in displaying fully textured geo in the viewport. There are some specific exceptions like facial animation. Even then for character animation I'd want to replace all the high res textures so that the scene doesn't choke on 8k maps everytime you load it or switch on textured display in the viewport. It's a pain to have to deal with different textures for rendering versus animation but is worth it rather than trying to throw hardware at it. But or the most part we do everything we can to make the scene interactive for the given task including update hardware.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaynights
I don't get that idea with the 4 open maya.exe's. How that works when modelling and stuff.... But I also model in Softimage and consider going back and forth since both have there advantages.

Well if you are trying to work on various projects or parts of the same project it can get annoying to have to relaunch maya everytime but it requires more system memory.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Anyway.. if you are working with the above scene.. and you are art directing the leaves on the bush in the foreground does it really matter if everything in the background is displayed while you do that, especially if having all that other stuff displayed is bringing your machine to it's knees?

Precisely. Thus, the reason I posted those images. Note the various Display Layers controlling the visibility of that example scene's elements. Even so, there are many problems with doing it this way, and you certainly lose a lot of precision. I've been working on that scene for over a year. (just a personal piece though, if it were a commission I'd go much quicker, I hope!)

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
Note the various Display Layers controlling the visibility of that example scene's elements. Even so, there are many problems with doing it this way, and you certainly lose a lot of precision.

how do display layers change the "precision"?

I mean you seem to be agreeing with me but at the same time insisting it's necessary to have everything displayed at all times in order to be creative or precise which is not true.

I'm certain that anytime the technology rises to the level where what we can do today is capable of being done in realtime .. creativity will find a way to try to do more than it can do in realtime or otherwise exceed the capabilities of the hardware.

Amazing work should exceed the expectations of any given tool or tools.

Last edited by gmask : 02-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #21
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

buying a GPU is good but learning how to use proxies and BBox display is better.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #22
kosingcg
Tatlong Dimension

portfolio
Oliver Magno
Render TD
MPC - Montreal
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianFex
Hi, good day.

I'm just wondering how I can maximize the potential of my CPU for my Maya purposes? Not yet for rendering, just overall workflow. Is there some sort of settings or tweaks that I can do?

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-3630 QM, 2.4GHz
8GB
NVIDIA geforce 610M, 2GB
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1

and I'm running Maya 2012 64 bit.

Sometimes, my Maya crashes or lags and when I check my processes/performance, the memory goes up to 62% and my RAM barely reaches 7%. :( Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way that I could possibly allocate the RAM I have to my Maya? :(

What exactly are you doing? Animation? Dynamics? Modeling? You have a decent specs on your computer, maya should run smoothly unless you are simulating millions of particles.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
buying a GPU is good but learning how to use proxies and BBox display is better.

Yes!

I also love this trick - it used to happen in mr but I think AD "patched it" back when I used mr, but it works in V-Ray still these days and that is that you turn off LOD visibility so the object disappears in the view-port but it renders ok. Great feature.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

ya, the V-Ray Proxy face count option is great. You never have to look at more polys that you need to. I made an Automator service that prompts you for face count, which I use all the time:

https://vimeo.com/41922056

Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #25
LianFex

portfolio
Jaykey del%2BMar
Illustrator / Animator / Graphic Designer
General%2BTrias, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosingcg
What exactly are you doing? Animation? Dynamics? Modeling? You have a decent specs on your computer, maya should run smoothly unless you are simulating millions of particles.

Hi! Good day. I'm currently doing Modeling + Dynamics. But will use the same computer for Animation for my next term. :| The last time I tried to render a car model with multiple render passes, my comp lagged so bad it scared me. >.<

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Timeout limit and is unable to continue. The application must now close."

Yeah. So I just assumed it really must be the video card. Aside from that, modeling runs smoothly. ^^

Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #26
gmask
Obfuscator

gmask
Power Sitting
Topanga, USA

Quote:
Hi! Good day. I'm currently doing Modeling + Dynamics. But will use the same computer for Animation for my next term. :| The last time I tried to render a car model with multiple render passes, my comp lagged so bad it scared me. >.<

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Timeout limit and is unable to continue. The application must now close."

Yeah. So I just assumed it really must be the video card. Aside from that, modeling runs smoothly. ^^

So are you launching batch renders and leaving maya open? This is not very practical given that you only have 8gbs of ram. You won't beable to work in maya while rendering and both will be competing for the resources of the computer.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
LianFex

portfolio
Jaykey del%2BMar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmask
So are you launching batch renders and leaving maya open? This is not very practical given that you only have 8gbs of ram. You won't beable to work in maya while rendering and both will be competing for the resources of the computer.

I'm sorry for the late reply. No, I was not doing batch rendering. I only meant that those were the things I usually do on Maya and will be doing animation on my next school year. I'm not even sure if I'd like to batch render on a laptop... =___=

Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #28
kosingcg
Tatlong Dimension

portfolio
Oliver Magno
Render TD
MPC - Montreal
Canada

Quote:

You might try this Workaround first before jumping to another expensive nvidia card.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #29
LianFex

portfolio
Jaykey del%2BMar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosingcg
You might try this Workaround first before jumping to another expensive nvidia card.

Thank you so much!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
kosingcg
Tatlong Dimension

portfolio
Oliver Magno
Render TD
MPC - Montreal
Canada

Quote:
Thank you so much!