Beware missing Alembic Caches

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Beware missing Alembic Caches

Ran into a strange one today. I had to revisit some animation scenes from a few months back for a client and for some reason Maya (2012.5, had to use it for plugin reasons rather than 2013) was crashing every time I loaded one particular file. After some experimentation I figured out it was related to a missing Alembic cache that I had since removed from the drive it was originally on. Luckily I had a safe copy of it, so I copied it to the drive where Maya expected to find it and that did the trick. The file would then open again without issues.

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else runs into it. Not sure if it's been fixed since as I can't load the animation scene into 2013/2013.5 due to the plugin dependencies.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01 January 2013   #2
posted a reply on the area about it some time ago:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/auto...n-opening-file/

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thanks, good to know it's not just me in any case.

Regarding this point you made on that post -
2) Try to remember the name and the location of the cache, and create a new abc with the EXACT name in that EXACT location of the one you deleted. Now you will be able to open the file, and get rid of the alembic nodes that cause the problem.

Rather than trying to remember the name or path you can open the Script editor while attempting to open the problem file and you'll see a message show up that it's trying to load the cache. That message will give the name and path for the file. That was what tipped me off to the fact that the missing cache was what was crashing Maya.

I've just done a simple test here with a nCloth sphere cached out and if I delete that cache it crashes 2012SAP but if I open it in 2013 Ext1 Maya just gives an error that the cache can't be found. So I guess the good news is that this is fixed in newer versions, just an issue in 2012SAP (possibly 2013 initial release though, don't have that installed here to check).

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Aha, so they fixed it.
Good to know.
And good tip with the script editor. I just saw the crash window and that was it.
But hopefully, we won't have to deal with this ever again.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread