problems with render view

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
problems with render view

I recently picked up a laptop for use with maya on the go. I have a desktop for home, but sometimes need to work away from home and wanted a more portable machine.

Everything works great, except the render view which after a few renders will stop displaying anything until I restart maya. The top menu is there, but the main view is just white. There are no errors in the script editor or the output window and it seems to be rendering, but nothing is displayed. I'm going to guess it's a driver issue, but after playing with the settings I still can't get it to work all the time. It seems to work fine if I minimize the render view after a render and never close it, but it would be nice to get this fixed because I hit close on automatic pilot after rendering a test image.

The machine is a MSI GT70 with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 675MX. This happens on both maya 2011 and 2012, I haven't upgraded t0 2013 yet. The machine also came with windows 8, which I've found very annoying so far.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very happy to hear them.

01 January 2013
I can't help with Windows 8; it's not a direction I'm willing to go, and I would install Win7 on that laptop were it in my hands. Your world though!

As for Viewport issues, something that's often helped in the past with Maya for me is overriding the GPU on a per-application level. This was especially helpful back with my 7950GT, but has also had good effect with a GTS 250, GTX 460, and GTX 550Ti.

Open your Nvidia Control Panel (no idea how to do this on Win8, but in Win7 you simply right-click the Desktop and select "Nvidia Control Panel". On the top left under "3D Setting" pick "Manage 3D settings". On the right side, pick "Program Settings" and add a custom override for Maya. You'll locate the maya.exe file in Program Files/Autodesk/Maya 20xx/bin.

Some overrides that often help are:

Multi-display/mixed GPU acceleration : Single Display Performance mode
(this one works even with multiple monitors, and yes you can still use both monitors just fine)

Threaded Optimization: Off
(this one lets Maya handle the threading, instead of the Nvidia drivers, basically)

Hope one of those helps! Kind of a shot in the dark, but just maybe...

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

01 January 2013
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately changing those setting didn't make a difference.

I wish I had installed win 7 when I first got it, but I stupidly thought I'd give 8 a chance and learn all the new metro crap. Now I've installed all my software and have everything working and I really don't want to format and install everything again. If this render view problem was bigger, I would, but for now I guess I'll live with it. I don't use the machine as much as my desktop anyway.

If I do track down a solution I'll post it here, in case anyone runs into this issue.

01 January 2013
Just in case anyone else is looking at this with the same problem, the solution was to update to the latest nvidia driver.
If you goto nvidia.com and let it detect your card, it says you should install the msi driver, however that driver is a beta (at this time anyway) and what was causing the problems. Installing nvidia's own driver works fine and solved all my maya problems.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread