Old 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
soth3dlife
portfolio
Fran Martinez%2BExposito
Barcelona, Spain

Send a message via MSN to soth3dlife
NEX or Diamant Tools for Maya?

Greetings!

I wanted to share with you a doubt I have. I am a Softimage user since 5 years ago and when I started modeling with Maya I about 2 or 3 years ago I didn't like it until I knew about the NEX plugin which makes me feel like working with Softimage or even better. The thing is that I decided to try out the Diamant Tools but I gotta say I am a bit dissapointed. The only tools I like are the UV editing tools and I still prefer the UV Layout ones.I know that it is becoming very popular so I thought I might not have used it properlu. So my questions are: Which one do you like betther? Am I making a mistake comparing them? I just feel that NEX rocks and you don't need anything else. May you tell me your thoughts?

thanks!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
tristratos
Frequenter

Diamant ROCKS - (NEX is a toy infront of Diamant Tools!!)

Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
soth3dlife
portfolio
Fran Martinez%2BExposito
Barcelona, Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristratos
Diamant ROCKS - (NEX is a toy infront of Diamant Tools!!)

Interesting but I'd like to know why

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

You should probably try them both and make up your own mind.

I've been working with nex for many years now. I'd have to say its one of the best toys I own
The diamant uv stuff looks pretty cool. Currently nex doesnt do uv's, although I believe its on the todo list.

The rest of the diamant stuff looks very similar to nex.
For me, workflow is important, and the nex devs put a lot of effort into making that workflow as efficient as possible. If you push polys around all day you'll want to be sure the workflow suits your needs.

Try 'em both.

David

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
tristratos
Frequenter

ΙΜΗΟ, Diamant is much more intuitive and logical, not to mention time saving with its fully logical shortcuts, and yes its a complete powerfull toolbox, in conjuction to Nex!

Propably as David said, you should try them both yourself and decide which fits your workflow.
In mine Diamant was a PERFECT fit!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
bk3d
Know-it-All

portfolio
brian keffer
Environment Artist
Sanzaru
fremont, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to bk3d
You can always check out Ninja Dojo too. It's cheaper than both those and has more features than they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWrH_gAPCHY

Old 01-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
soth3dlife
portfolio
Fran Martinez%2BExposito
Barcelona, Spain

I did try them both, I've been working with NEX for some time and recently I tried Diamant tools. I made some research and many people say is more intuitive, stable and easy to use... So far I don't feel anything like that; I just like the sculpting tools and the UV editing tools. Talking about tools I think NEX has wider range of tools and possibilities and things like the shift extrude edges... In Diamant they just move perpendicular to the normal of the edge. The selection tools are not really intuitive for me so, after making all that research I just feel like I am missing something because I do not agree with what many people say. I am just opened minded and I dont want to refuse a tool just because I didn't understand it first.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
soth3dlife
portfolio
Fran Martinez%2BExposito
Barcelona, Spain

ok, after more testing I think I made the mistake of comparing both tools.

My conclusion is that even though both of them have got similar tools, such as the retopology Quad Draw, they are focused on different workflow or techniques. For example I can not image my self modeling a gun with the Diamant tools. I feel like this one is just focused on Characters ( which has been obvious since the beginning ). Now I understand that is really easy and quick to get the proxy or overall shapes with Diamant but I don't feel like Diamant has got enough tools to get the final topology. In my opinion they both are different tools, or that's how I feel so far.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread