Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
NostalgicAlgorithms
portfolio
Robert
Colony7, USA

Maya - Joints driving me crazy!

Okay so I've been working on animating a bipedal mech, I realized I made some mistakes so I want to start over with no joints. No matter what I try I cannot delete the joints. I have tried unparenting which doesnt help. If I use the "remove joint" option it says a root cannot be removed. Somehow the peices of the model are rigged to the world?

If I click on the main root joint at the center of my mech it selects the entire top half of the model.
This is very frustrating, I'm new to animating in Maya and when I want to delete something it should be simple!! Deleting joints by type deletes the entire model......

Somehow I deleted one joint? The joints are showing animation history but I already deleted any animations? So lost.....

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Do you have groups set up?

If so that may explain some of your selection problems. Beyond that I am a little new to Maya selection, and I don't quite understand it fully yet.

But what you might do is simply export your meshes out as an obj or fbx and import them on a new scene to start over.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
zoharl
A newbie

portfolio
Zohar
Wellington, New Zealand

Your mesh is probably a child of your joint. So if you delete the parent (joint), the child (mesh) is deleted as well. So unparent.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
mustique
Expert
copywriter

when you select a joint and delete it, every joint/object that is a child of it gets deleted.
so first make sure your geometry isn't parented to one of your joints, select the top joint press delete.

İf nothing else works for some weird reason export your geometry as obj and start by importing it into a new scene.

Assuming you are new to rigging there are a couple of things you should be familiar with first in order to get a working joint hierarchy.

- Make sure you draw your joints in the orthographic views to get decent joint orientation
- Use constraints to attach your mesh parts instead of parenting them to joints
- Or skin your mesch parts, rigid skin in case of solid undeforming mechanical parts.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread