How To Make Multiple Animations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
How To Make Multiple Animations

Hi there,

Im in the works of adding animations to a character that will import into Unity3D. What is the best way to set up multiple animations such as idle, run, back, and strafe for the one character?

01 January 2013
I've found that keeping all your animations on one timeline is easiest, keeping all your animation for a character in one file makes things a bit more organized. when you bring your fbx into unity you can create animations from timeline segments.

So idle frames 0-50
Walk 51-150, etc.

I don't have unity in front of me, ATM. But I believe there's a character animation tutorial in the unity docs that uses this method.

01 January 2013
Is there anything negative in leaving empty spaces between animations, like idle 1-50, then run 200-250, etc, so that you have some room for extending animations if needed?

01 January 2013
Awesome, thanks jgibz. Now an issue Im having with that is that I have my idle animation from 1-150. Then I want to begin my run animation on key 155. If I position his foot to begin the run cycle, it will reposition it for the idle animation as well. Why is that? I dont want it to adjust his position/rotation for the entire key slider, only from the point on where I am beginning his run cycle.

02 February 2013
Hey, srry It's been a while. Are you seeing this in maya? or just in unity?

02 February 2013
It sounds like the foot's transforms don't have a key at the end of the idle animation. What you want to do is at the start and end of every animation you have in your scene so idle, walk, run, etc is key all attributes on every controller just to make sure that values from one animation are not carrying on into others.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Jake.

02 February 2013
I think the post above got it. Just in case though - check that animation compression is off for the files loaded into Unity too as that will try to average out the poses and simplify things (usually with not so nice results).

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread