cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1976
Try to use polyPlane indeed of imagePlane.

ya, I made a Make Sprite script for V-Ray Tuner that makes a poly plane and attaches it to perspShape (I should probably add a camera option):

https://vimeo.com/57541238

If you assign a V-Ray Light Material and turn on "Camera Exposure Compensation," and put it far back enough to not illuminate your scene, it works perfectly as a V-Ray image plane. Otherwise the Environment slot works fine.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
For primary architectural modelling, Sketchup vs Rhino if i were to adopt one? I've only ever used Maya itself : /

A lot of people use Sketchup, sure. But it's not comparable to Rhino, in terms of features, speed, power, or any other way. I can't think of any program comparable to Rhino to be honest. I've used them all to some extent, and while I like Revit and Sketchup for some of their features, Rhinoceros really does trample them in so many areas that on the efficiency level it's incomparable. A lot of my colleagues up here send me modeling requests for plumbing fixtures and such, for them to use in their Revit or Sketchup projects.

That said, if I'd spent over a decade in Sketchup perhaps I could come close to such proficiency as I have with Rhino. Someone who knows their salt in any application can do amazing things efficiently, I'd like to think! But I do 95% of my arch/viz modeling in Rhino, and all my blueprints, permit plans, and architectural details inside Rhino as well. Electrical plans, plumbing, whatever you want to do. It's like AutoCAD on crack, with just amazing NURBS tools that make Maya's seem like an afterthought.

I export as .obj still, which often means cleaning up Normals inside Maya, but it's relatively painless after you do it a few times.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
phaedarus
Veteran
portfolio
phaedarus
toronto, Canada

If you like to work exclusively in OSX, I recommend giving FormZ a try.

Despite being a relatively obscure program throughout most of the industry, it really shines in the architectural and product visualization field. I believe Maxwell is the preferred renderer used by most FormZ users.

The modeling workflow is really superb and it handles boolean operations which normally crash other applications (Maya is by far the worst) like a champ. The program has built-in procedural geometry for things like screws and staircases which is a godsend with any interior modeler. CAD-like functionality is also offered with polygons and it has NURBS capabilities as well. A 2D drafting module is also included if you want to start out with that route.

The support from Autodesys is really second to none as well. If you're having difficulties with modeling a particular item, the support staff will actually create examples based on your reference and attach the file with instructions on how they did it via the forums. I don't know of any company that does that.

FormZ has no rigging tools, fluid simulations or particle system to speak of and only basic animation capabilities so that's something to bear in mind. It's best used as a companion to other animation software if you plan to do more than just model/texture/render.

Having said that though, it's important to understand that there is no one single best solution for everything - the Mac is especially limited in what software solutions are available. There is no "Photoshop" in the world of 3D. Chances are you going to use at least two programs if your desire is explore all aspects of what is possible with your 3D assets.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

I used Form-Z before I learned Maya. I don't really have fond memories of it personally. The OS X version of Max is probably coming soonish so I really doubt the Mac will have limited options after that. The plug-ins will be ported and people will be free to use a program I loath.

Maybe when Apple announces the new Mac Pro, they'll do a launch of Mari and Max at the keynote, since I know Mari is also coming. Add OpenGL 4.1 which my sources say was due around now and the Quadro K5000 and things are looking pretty good for OS X 3D.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
TeeJayEllis
PRO
portfolio
Tee Jay
Interaction Designer
London, United Kingdom

Max on Mac would be wonderful, I hope it happens. I'm not sure though, I always figured Maya just stayed on OS X from the Alias days. Although I suppose we got AutoCAD back so anything is possible.

I've actually spent the last week or so with Modo and it's absolutely fantastic. I had my reservations as it is not the easiest transition to make but I really can't see a problem going 100% Modo at this point. There are plenty of scripts available and with regards to the asset libraries, FBX works find and if I set up a few libraries as presets during downtime then it's just as quick as having native libraries.

CAD handling obviously isn't as comprehensive as the competition but in all honesty, over the past couple of years I've found myself transitioning away from working super tightly to CAD imports and just taking a more creative and freeform approach. In some cases, I just drop a flattened PDF in as an image plane and go from there. I find it a more artistic approach than technical and the end results for me at least have been just as good.

I appreciate that if you're locked into a back and forth with architects or using BIM then that's not going to be an option but I've never been involved in that kind of work anyway.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #36
FerryP
Parttime lurker

portfolio
Ferry Passchier
2D/3D artist
The Hague, Netherlands

I use maya at my current work (which is arch-vis), after using max for years...and I hate it! Not because I'm new to it (I use it for 1,5 year now), but because it's just not the logical software for arch-viz.

Of course you can get good results, but for example displacement is pure evil (look), and I hate the fact that you kind of always forced to edit polies, since they have no spline + extrude. I love the modifier based way of working in 3ds max, and also believe it's way more easy to edit afterwards (which happens a lot in arch-vis world).

I think Maya has the benefit of being more stable, but on the other hand I notice a lot more bugs in Maya then I did in 3ds max.

I think it's safe to say that Maya does difficult stuff easy and makes easy stuff difficult.
Most updates here

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
Cygnusrk727
Veteran
portfolio
Richard Keck
Graphic Designer
Knoxville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
I used Form-Z before I learned Maya. I don't really have fond memories of it personally. The OS X version of Max is probably coming soonish so I really doubt the Mac will have limited options after that. The plug-ins will be ported and people will be free to use a program I loath.

Maybe when Apple announces the new Mac Pro, they'll do a launch of Mari and Max at the keynote, since I know Mari is also coming. Add OpenGL 4.1 which my sources say was due around now and the Quadro K5000 and things are looking pretty good for OS X 3D.

Form Z made a great jump with version 7. Some of my colleagues are using it for industrial design and the work flow and rendering has made great strides.

A native version of Max for OSX? Now that perked my ears….. I could see Dave G. beta testing that….Course he probably couldn't tell us if so.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
royg
---
Roy
City, Afghanistan

Quote:

As far as I'm aware, the OS X version of Max has been shelved / canned / stopped / isn't happening.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnusrk727
Form Z made a great jump with version 7. Some of my colleagues are using it for industrial design and the work flow and rendering has made great strides.

A native version of Max for OSX? Now that perked my ears….. I could see Dave G. beta testing that….Course he probably couldn't tell us if so.

i do like many aspects of formz. i used to use it a lot before i started using maya. it is not because i like maya better but that's what my office has and hadn't touched formz since version 4. i tried version 7 and it is a lot better for architecture than maya but i can't get used to it because of the navigation and the scaling.

i tried to use the demo to design a donor wall installation and it all was working great till i tried to zoom in real close to do the hardware and it would not let me. i had to change the project scale. but then i couldn't zoom out to see the overall project and again i had to switch the scale. i don't remember this being the case back in formz 4 but i simply cannot work that way.

and yea. i don't think max is ever coming out for maya. autodesk seems to think emulation is good enough of a solution for mac users.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #40
phaedarus
Veteran
portfolio
phaedarus
toronto, Canada

Quote:

FormZ has come a long way and now in its 7th version, has improved dramatically in terms of workflow.

I don't know about you, but I really value the 2D operations that can be performed on 3D objects not found in other packages geared more towards animation and special effects. There isn't a day that goes by where I wish Maya/Modo/Cinema4d would mimic some of the derivative tools that FormZ has. Trim and split anyone?

3DSMAX will, if anything, will finally bring to the Mac the best hard surface modeling toolset ever devised by man. The real issue here is stability. If it is anything like Maya and Mudbox (which itself is HORRIBLY buggy on OSX), that will dash my hopes fairly quickly. Ditto if it is not compatible with Snow Leopard - I refuse to upgrade to any of that iOSified crap that is Lion and Mountain Lion. In fact, I'm running Lion right now and I can't wait to downgrade after I purchase an SSD.

As for Mari, I've heard good things about it but I don't think I'll be switching from Bodypaint anytime soon unless Mari happens to offer projection with spline tools built-in.

My biggest gripe with 3D on OSX right now is in the games department. The Mac is still two steps behind the PC due to the lack of UDK/Cryengine dev kits and numerous small utilities that facilitate game development such as Xnormal, nDo2 Photoshop plugin among others that I have to otherwise virtualize or bootcamp for. The situation is embarrassing enough that even artists prefer Windows over OSX for the 3D portion of the iOS game they're working on. Also, the fact that most of us are stuck with ATI cards (I currently use a late 2011 MBP) doesn't help either.

As for the Mac Pro, when was the last time Apple featured the Mac Pro on the opening page of their website or included it as anything other than a footnote during a keynote speech? Professionals are no longer Apple's bread and butter; consumers are. The Mac Pro appears to be little more than a pawn in Apple's PR campaign to bring manufacturing back to the US.

Of course, I too, have heard that this 2013 upgrade will be significant but my gut feeling tells me that the 2008 eight-core models will be the last of the best value Mac Pros we'll see for a long time to come.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #41
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
San_Francisrococo, USA

I don't think Mudbox is buggy on OS X - it's buggy on all platforms. When I see a bug with Mudbox, it's usually a problem across all platforms. Ditto for Maya.

I doubt you'll see game dev apps other than Unity on OS X. As much as I'd like to see it happen, it's just too small a market compared to professional content creators who want to do stuff on Macs.

As for the Mac Pro, I'll be writing a review for Ars Technica and I won't be pulling any punches. There's no problem with AMD cards on OS X for 3D - you get official support for Maya and other apps with them in OS X, where you don't get that in Windows. Read my article here:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...muscle-ahead/5/

scroll down to where it says "Maya viewport 1" and read. Nvidia fixed that Quadro lag with Maya in OS X in 10.8.3 but that elaborates on how OpenGL support works in OS X vs. Linux/Windows.

Last edited by cgbeige : 01-23-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #42
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

I prefer to use Rhino and Maya on the Mac, because... Well, that's just a joke, people.

Maya. Arch/vis. Topic.

If you folks want to babble about Macs and how cool they are, there are plenty of threads for that or we could always start another new one?

Quote:
Trim and split anyone?

I find it amusing that most applications don't have these functions. Nice to see FormZ taking some queues from Rhino!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #43
mecos
Expert

portfolio
fernando zamora
architect/graphic designer
Oakland, United States

Send a message via AIM to mecos Send a message via MSN to mecos Send a message via Yahoo to mecos
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness

I find it amusing that most applications don't have these functions. Nice to see FormZ taking some queues from Rhino!

I may not remember well but im sure formz had those before rhino came out. Not important but just sayan

I havent given rhino a try since it was on beta for the mac. That was like 8 years ago but last time i checked it was still beta.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #44
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Oh, I was only joking about taking queues from Rhino. Most of those features are rooted in traditional architecture and design. It's not the scope of Maya to incorporate every aspect of design into itself; instead, it offers an architecture to allow one to do so.

One could obviously script or program in all of Form Z or Rhino or all kinds of tools into Maya. The time it would take would be downtime, generally, with little pay if any. If however an entire suite of architectural plugins were designed, Maya would likely dominate. The application architecture is there.

But I'll admit it was a huge struggle and disappointment for me when learning Maya to realize that it had such "vanilla" limitations. But its strengths are still vast and many. I don't view a floor-building plugin as a necessary tool personally, since building a floor takes about 40 seconds flat, so I don't see any value in Max's weaker internal architecture and lack of node-based workflow (for example). I haven't tried Modo for arch/viz however, because unless it plays better with Rhino or renders faster than mental ray in Maya, it would be a step backwards. Modo has some great modeling tools, of course.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #45
phaedarus
Veteran
portfolio
phaedarus
toronto, Canada

Quote:
Oh, I was only joking about taking queues from Rhino.

SUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRREEE :P

In actuality, Form-Z boasted many of the features that predate Rhino.

What makes Form-Z different compared to traditional 2D CAD packages is that it offers CAD functionality on polygonal geometry - you're not stuck with just using NURBS. Trim and split, parallel, loft, and fillet really do work on flat polygon surfaces and all of it can be keyed in numerically. Derivative based modeling via booleans and lines of intersection is FormZ's primary strength as a solid and surface modeler. For architectural modeling, it's superb.

Of course, the program isn't without it's faults. I wish it had some of Max's freeform tools and there's no selection undo which, quite frankly, is inexcusable.

Quote:
One could obviously script or program in all of Form Z or Rhino or all kinds of tools into Maya. The time it would take would be downtime, generally, with little pay if any. If however an entire suite of architectural plugins were designed, Maya would likely dominate. The application architecture is there.

Maya is extensively configurable; moreso than any other application I know. However, adopting CAD functionality into Maya is not a pretty scenario by any stretch of the imagination. It's just easier to enable things like face centers and enable the display of the axis for use as reference snapping. Even so, forget about precision in Maya. It wasn't made for that.

Quote:
But I'll admit it was a huge struggle and disappointment for me when learning Maya to realize that it had such "vanilla" limitations. But its strengths are still vast and many. I don't view a floor-building plugin as a necessary tool personally, since building a floor takes about 40 seconds flat, so I don't see any value in Max's weaker internal architecture and lack of node-based workflow (for example). I haven't tried Modo for arch/viz however, because unless it plays better with Rhino or renders faster than mental ray in Maya, it would be a step backwards. Modo has some great modeling tools, of course.

3DSMAX's vast library of presets for architecture is what keeps people coming back to the program over Maya. Apparently, people like simplicity that just works. Who woulda thunkit?

Thread Closed share thread