need facial expression list for character like this.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
need facial expression list for character like this.

its a maya model and advance skeleton rig.
now i am gonna do blend shapes which i now how to do but i am also new so i don't know how this face expression will be.
like i watch po (kung fu panda) facial expression and he has a very squashy and stretchy face and lip sync which is good but complicated. my character also has that kind of face.
point is if i get the facial expression list like this character then i can do it.
plz help me out with this.
thanks

without fur (smile)

with fur (smile)

stand position

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Squash and stretch are just part of rigging. They can be skeleton driven, blend shapes or combination of both. Unfortunately it's not something we can just teach you in forum post like this. Your best bet would be to get yourself a proper rigging tutorial or DVD.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
I would suggest to buy the book Stop Staring. In it the writer explains the minimum shapes you need in order to animate the face as well as rigging tips to achieve the squash and stretch. A really good reference if you get into face rigging.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
look into the face system for advanced skeleton. its pretty cool and does alot of squash stretch stuff for free and is pretty flexible and easy to setup ...u can create poses in the pose manager and pretend like theyre blend shapes

Old 01 January 2013   #5
thanks guys.

stop staring is nice book and so as advance skeleton script (facial system is bugging for me) also i have to practice and watch many tutorial as i can.
but
my point is like
if someone made my head model and do a nice blend shapes of smile and frown like it looks so attractive but in reality i have unattractive smile and other expression so in this case its up to rigger which do the smile but not just smile better looking smile.
if you see my character with smile shape. it looks joker and i need it looks stylish and attractive because he is the hero etcetera etcetera.

sorry guys if i am not making any sense.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
in that case try to simplify the smile shape. If you look at its upper lips right now, the line is going zig-zag. Keep it simpler, preferably just 1 continuous arc.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
thanks panupat

i found puss in boots mouth shape which is perfect for my character

if its not then i can make it shape like this but the problem is i searched in google but didn't find facial expressions or blend shapes of puss in boots.
and yeah its kind of a cheating.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
after doing the joint base and curve based facial rigging my character still looks ouch! not so good and after that i try blend shapes and the result was ok for me (not so good but ok)
https://vimeo.com/62501580

Old 03 March 2013   #9
The way to make a facial expression interesting is asymmetry. At the moment all of your expressions are symmetrical. This is one of the principles of animation. You get twinning and that's not good. So try to break up the right and left side with your shapes. This makes it easier for the animator to achieve the asymmetrical expressions and make the animation more appealing.

Good luck.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
thanks ralphymeijer

maya is very good for things like that and there is always script around but what i usually do is
copy one expression twice and apply "blend shape paint weight" which gives me asymmetrical shape.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread