Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Kiyam
portfolio
Safraz Namoos
Basildon, United Kingdom

normal map troubles ( as usal :S ) xnormal seams

Hi guys,

i am trying to make a low poly environment model for a game engine however i am having trouble trying to get some good normal maps off xnormal.

I am using a hard edged low poly model, and trying to generate some soft edges from the high poly. But xnormal generates this black lines across the edges.

I do not know how to go about fixing this issue, at the moment only way i can fix this is by adding extra edge loops along the edges and generate a normal map for that model however they don't use those meshes for in game models.

Can anyone tell me how the pro environment artists maintain a low poly hard edged object with a soft edge normal map?

Thank you for reading

Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

You should add edge loops only on the high polygonal model. For the low res model, make sure you harden all those sharp edges before you send them over to do the baking.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Kiyam
portfolio
Safraz Namoos
Basildon, United Kingdom

thank you i did just that, i think its looking ok from the inside, but the outside edges look dark, is this normal and ok before sending it to engine?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

They look dark because the lowpoly and highpoly match each other poorly. (the former is smaller than the latter)

Take a look at this picture (sideview of an edge)
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/...ckedgeissue.jpg

Most of the time this can be avoided by using a custom cage in xnormal - but sometimes you have to go and add geometry to the lowpoly.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Kiyam
portfolio
Safraz Namoos
Basildon, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade
They look dark because the lowpoly and highpoly match each other poorly. (the former is smaller than the latter)

Take a look at this picture (sideview of an edge)
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/...ckedgeissue.jpg

Most of the time this can be avoided by using a custom cage in xnormal - but sometimes you have to go and add geometry to the lowpoly.

is it possible to add verts to the custom cage tho, because i edited the cage in xnormal, the cage has a few verts so unless i push it a lot it cover the entire high poly :S.

I do understand what you are saying though

Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

From the look of it, your hi poly's corners are really round. So those parts that show up black is because the surface normal is perpendicular to the camera view.

Best way to fix this is to keep the rounding around corners of your hi poly minimal. But if you really want them to be -that- round you're gonna need more detail in the low poly model too.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyam
is it possible to add verts to the custom cage tho, because i edited the cage in xnormal

You edited the cage mesh in xnormal... dam I gotta get the new version:P

just remake or edit your cage mesh in maya to more closely fit the profile of your high res mesh. The extra polys shouldn't hurt.

You can make your mesh live and use the create poly tool to start the cage around the corners, that should help with the back areas on your map.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread