Creating realistic production clothes in Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Creating realistic production clothes in Maya

Hello there everyone , Lately i have alot of work to get done for animated short film where cloth is a very huge issue at the time. I need to find a way to model clothes in 3d as in the real work ,eg cut out cloth and sew them together , simulate great folds and collisions all within Maya and without any plugins.I don't want to use any normal mapping tricks to get this done and the director will not spend thousands of dollars to buy any third party plugins or programs ,he want it all to be done inside maya . I wish i could use 3ds Max cloth function for this. Can i get that done in maya?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Don't know if this suggestion will suite the "do everything in Maya" constraint, but if you can do that in Max, just export animations as pointcaches and simulate in Max. Just need to make sure in each shot characters start from T pose.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
ncloth? its fantastic

Why 3Dmax cloth? Because u r comfortable with it? Just FBX your animation and do it there (if yhou got access,of course)

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by AbsorbentGhost: Hello there everyone , Lately i have alot of work to get done for animated short film where cloth is a very huge issue at the time. I need to find a way to model clothes in 3d as in the real work ,eg cut out cloth and sew them together , simulate great folds and collisions all within Maya and without any plugins.I don't want to use any normal mapping tricks to get this done and the director will not spend thousands of dollars to buy any third party plugins or programs ,he want it all to be done inside maya . I wish i could use 3ds Max cloth function for this. Can i get that done in maya?

Is this a trick question?

Yes you can get it done in Maya.

Here's some tips:

It's usually a good idea to create lower res cloth objects that drive a higher res mesh if your model is really dense. This will speed up the simulations.

If your model has thickness it will be easier to create the cloth object so that it does not have that thickness and then drive the higher res model with it.

That's all for now..

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread