White background in rendered images

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
White background in rendered images

Hi! There's a problem with every image I render in Maya. The default background shown in the rendered image in Maya is black. I can change this background to any color, and it's shown in the image in Maya. But when I go to the foulder where the image is and I open the image, I see that the background is white. Transparent, to be precise. No matter what color I set the background, it shows that color only in the Render view window in Maya, but the image always appears white. It's really annoying.

Is there a way to solve this? Please, help! Here's some pictures to show you. The first one hows the image as seen in the render view window in Maya. The second one shows the actual image. The small thumbnail shows the background black, but if you click on it, it shows white.
Attached Images
File Type: png Preuba2.png (48.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Prueba1.png (77.4 KB, 3 views)

12 December 2012
enclose the world with a sphere and put a background shader on it

12 December 2012
What image format are you saving as? If you have it set to .png it will render the background as transparent.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by jgibz: What image format are you saving as? If you have it set to .png it will render the background as transparent.

Oh, I render to PNG. It is the only format that can produce a good quality image and that I can use with a compositing software. Well, the only compositing software I have is Composite, and all it does is produce the same images. The only compositing software that supports .iff format (as far as I know) is After Effects, and it's for 64-bit operating systems only. I put the images together directly in the video editor software.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that out.

12 December 2012
I think in the .png format there's a way to specify which color would be the background, or maybe it's just the UI of IrfanView. Anyway try to re-save the .png with IrfanView and play with the transparency options. I preferred to do it with ImageMagick. Assuming you have its convert.exe in your path:

http://svn.code.sf.net/p/mymayaplug.../tweak_image.py

(You would probably want to set the trim and add border if's to 0.)

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by NikoSeba: Oh, I render to PNG. It is the only format that can produce a good quality image and that I can use with a compositing software. Well, the only compositing software I have is Composite, and all it does is produce the same images. The only compositing software that supports .iff format (as far as I know) is After Effects, and it's for 64-bit operating systems only. I put the images together directly in the video editor software.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that out.

So you want your image to be output with straight alpha channels as opposed to pre-multiplied?

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by gmask: enclose the world with a sphere and put a background shader on it

Seems like a good quick fix, Or just put a poly plane behind everything

12 December 2012
I would avoid using polygons to solve this, it alters your raytrace structure in poor ways based on the scene bounding box. Your render may become slower in many cases so it's not a good habit.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Bitter: I would avoid using polygons to solve this, it alters your raytrace structure in poor ways based on the scene bounding box. Your render may become slower in many cases so it's not a good habit.

You are probably right about that but what I'm trying to understand from the OP is if he's planning on compositing the rendered image then why does it matter what color the background in the RGB channels are. If his alpha is premultiplied then he can comp over any color he wants.

If this was a transparent object I could see a need for straight channels.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread