Polygon Object has Gimbal Lock?!?!?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Polygon Object has Gimbal Lock?!?!?

This is seriously annoying me to no end, how is it even possible for a polygon to have gimbal lock?! Especially seeing as I haven't even rotated it ONCE yet. PEASE Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gimbal.jpg (93.2 KB, 23 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Yes it is possible for any object that has a transform to gimbal lock. The default rotation order is XYZ but you might be better off with YXZ .

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Thanks for the reply, but I just realised that it happens to any object, even a new cube that I create. I don't know why it does this or why I haven't realised this before. There must be some setting I accidentally set, or I have just oblivious to it :P

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Originally Posted by Broodstar: Thanks for the reply, but I just realised that it happens to any object, even a new cube that I create. I don't know why it does this or why I haven't realised this before. There must be some setting I accidentally set, or I have just oblivious to it :P

It's because the default rotation order is XYZ

Old 12 December 2012   #5
@Broodstar, you should read about gimbal lock (e.g. tutorials on youtube).

@gmask, the gimbal lock can happen in any order of axes for the Euler angles. But when you are inside a gimbal lock, changing the axes order should get you out of it.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
yeah , maya always creates transforms with "xyz" , where "y" is the axis , which produces the gimbal ( the letter in the middle , always is responsible for the big bad mr. Gimbal )

in most cases "xzy" works very well : that means , y-is totally free ( thats what is needed most of the times , in order to place objects around your scene ) , and x will also work perfect , z -let's say- just to an amount of +-70 degree .... so dont use the "middle"-axis , in order to do "spinning" ( like rotating tires of a car )

Example:
the rotationOrder i always use for IK_Feet and my MainSpine_Control ( within character-rigs is "xzy"

e.g.
- since ( for a foot ) , "z" this is the least needed axis , i use this rotation order . since most of the movement will be the character walking around in worldspace and rotating around "y" , and the footRool and within running , it will always be the x-axis that needs to be keyed . so the "z-axis" is the least needed .... which you might need - if you would want to animate Kung-Fu-Action or Breakdance .... but then you need additional Gimbal-Controls within your rig , anyways.
- and for the mainSpine -Control .... imagine , my character can do "salto" and "pirouttes" very easily , then it might not work so well , when you wand the character to "turn wheels" ( do a cartwheel ).

but anyway , the gimbal can happen anyway , also , if you chose your rotation order wisely . then you might want to use an "offset"-ctrl ( or create an attribute , which is connected to the group below , and which pre-rotates your control around 90 degree )

---------------------
nice video explaining , the big bad gimbal:
https://vimeo.com/2649637

+ have a nice x-mas

Last edited by tonytouch : 12 December 2012 at 08:56 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Originally Posted by zoharl: @gmask, the gimbal lock can happen in any order of axes for the Euler angles. But when you are inside a gimbal lock, changing the axes order should get you out of it.

yea no joke.. that's why I suggested he change to YXZ.. since he's rotating mostly on the Y and the default is XYZ.. durrrrrrrr

Old 12 December 2012   #8
@gmask, sorry if I misunderstood you, but from reading your posts I got the impression that the xyz order is somewhat flawed, and the magic yxz is how the big boys roll (no pun intended ). Also I didn't note that @Broodstar was particular about which rotation axis he uses the most. In any case I guess I just emphasized what you meant for a future passerby that might misunderstood your words as well.

Last edited by zoharl : 12 December 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Originally Posted by zoharl: @gmask, sorry if I misunderstood you, but from reading your posts I got the impression that the xyz order is somewhat flawed

Mmm.. it's debatable but one might argue that the default of XYZ is flawed or at the least arbitrary. Considering that Maya is by default a Y up world space that'd the default might give preference to Y.

But if you are just placing objects in a scene and not animating them then it shouldn't be a big deal either way.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread