CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Lillian Young
Mgr, Video and Animation
New York, USA
Maya to AE: Video Screen Composite Like C4D?

I want to do this in Maya

Yet I cannot find a tutorial for it.

I want to create the placement null or solid in Maya as done in Cinema 4D, then add video in AE so that I can swap the video without having to re-render the full Maya scene.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Dee Mae
Salis, GB
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Insert Cleverness here
Once you have your scene animated, create a locator and place it in the middle of your screen and rename it to Null01 or Null_Screen, whatever you like but Null must be the Prefix. Parent constrain or Parent the locator to the screen. Once you have that, bake the null animation and Camera animation and delete everything but those two things out of your scene and save it as something so you'll know it's the camera animation and locator animation. Open AE, import your scene(.ma) to AE, you might have to fiddle with some things, but you should now be able to drop your video(what you want on the screen) into your comp, make it 3d and parent it to the "null" you loaded from maya. It will now follow your tv rendering, with some minor adjustments.

I also like to grp my camera to itself in maya and I rename that new grp to "Scale", you'll also need to bake the animation out for that, but you can remove all of it's keys in AE once you import the scene into AE, you can then use that to scale your camera, so the null sits properly on your rendered TV, which you'll more than likely have to do.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread