Bouncing Ball - Has to be scripted?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Bouncing Ball - Has to be scripted?

In Flash you can animate bouncing balls and similar effects easily using tween curves to handle acceleration/acceleration. The other option is to just code in the physics of the motion or use a physics engine.

Does this have to be scripted in Maya or is there a similar feature to motion tweening? I'm looking around at tutorials and they talk about it needing to be done keyframe by keyframe... Which is fine if your only doing a few frames, but for longer animations that gets a bit ridiculous...
http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/...ng-ball-part-1/

I guess I will use flash and generate a frame by frame sequence and then use the side view in Maya to copy the motion over, unless someone has a better idea?

Old 11 November 2012   #2
You can tween with handles inside the graph editor.
Just put a few keyframes on the object and play with the different types of handles

Old 11 November 2012   #3
That helps a bit... I can't figure out how to shape the curves more than the preset shapes though?

I keep trying to drag the handles like shaping a vector line with it's handles... And it won't drag?

Edit: Finally got them to drag... Woah, have to have the mouse positioned perfectly. Hmmm... They still are a bit too tough to work with. Too hard to modify parts of the curve to look realistic without added keyframes...

Probably going to just stick with move/rotate and frame by frame for the short sequences I need to do. I only need 5-10 frame animations.

Last edited by reppinfreedom : 11 November 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppinfreedom
they talk about it needing to be done keyframe by keyframe... Which is fine if your only doing a few frames, but for longer animations that gets a bit ridiculous...
So ironic, its... er... ridiculous. (Made my night though.)

David

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Is there a way to lengthen the handles on these graph curves? I tried to drag them outward to lengthen the "flat" sections of the animation as the ball is in the top of it's trajectory but the handles won't pull outward.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppinfreedom
Too hard to modify parts of the curve without added keyframes...
Try switching to "weighted tangents" and then "unlock" them. This will give you much more freedom of movement and let you shape more easily.

Sorry about the joke at your expense before... couldn't help myself after so many looong days of noodling around with thousands of keys on hundreds of channels.

David

Old 11 November 2012   #7
This is what Mayas rigid body solver was built for, a single bouncing ball. Dont miss the opportunity it may never come around again

Then you could bake keys then delete inbetween ones to tidy up.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Nice... Look what I made with graph curves only. Animated .gif.

Not perfect yet, but pretty nice... I am creating a game on my own time with characters that bounce as they move.

Last edited by reppinfreedom : 11 November 2012 at 11:06 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
cool

Old 11 November 2012   #10
You'll get used to it. Animating bouncing ball is probably an exercise all Maya users have been through

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread