Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Working with references

Problem 1:
Creating a ref, moving it and then creating a proxy for it. Then "reload proxy as" to get the proxy visible. But the proxy spawns in origin and not where the reference model is at

Problem 2:
How do you switch between proxy and reference view quickly? (on multiple references)
Proxy > reload proxy as > original, works good on multiple refs for switching "back" to reference view but you can't do this to go into proxy view on multiple refs

Problem 3: Namespace, group names and proxies...
I understand the prefix namespace stuff but why does the ref editor add RN*PM original and other crap to my reference names? For example:

Flow:

I create a reference, prefix "Foliage", group name "palmTree_group" and proxy name suffix "LR" (lowres)
name: FoliageRN palmTree.mb
...okay, so it adds RN - which means what, reference node? I can live with that

I then add a proxy to it
name changes to: FoliagePM original palmTree.mb
PM is probably = proxy model, and "original" is the tag it seems. Can you just get rid of tags?

Now I dupe my reference, now we are starting to get name clutter
dupe name: FoliageRN1PM original palmTree.mb

why does it add RN1 on this one when the original doesn't have it?

Whatever... So I move my refs around a bit (positioning these palm trees). And now I'm done, I have a lot of trees and I want to increase performance in the scene so I want to switch to the proxies. I select everything and select Proxy > Reload proxy as > FoliagePM1

This is where things are starting to become REALLY BOTHERSOME
First of all the refs doesn't really switch out to their proxies properly: all the proxies appear in origin and not where the ref is. This I explained under "problem 1".
Freezing the refs in place changes nothing, the proxies just doesn't stick to the references.

Second nuissance: The names are now really, really horrible.
FoliageRNPM FoliagePM1 palmTree_lowres.mb
FoliageRN1PM FoliagePM1 palmTree_lowres.mb
FoliageRN2PM FoliagePM1 palmTree_lowres.mb

So am I missing something or are things really this horrible? I thought working with references was supposed to make level designing smoother - not give you a brain aneurism!!

Another issue:
So I let the palmTree.mb scene be the grandchild scene, and then I make a child scene with x5 palmTree's in them, I name this child scene "palmTree_group.mb". Now in the parent scene, I create a new reference, select the child scene (palmTree_group) and then I get another issue: palmTree_group is NOT referenced as a single object - no ofc not... Instead I get 5x references. Why?

Last edited by DeadlyNightshade : 11-29-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Come on - is there NO ONE here who has done level designing in Maya on a professional basis?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
Make an asset, set it to 0,0,0 freeze xforms,.. go to master env and reference it.
then in the master env move it where you want.
Always make changes to asset, not in master env if possible for render layers etc..
.. and put proxy's.. such as vray, in the assets.. and reference them in with the asset if possible.
Later if problems come up, just import the reference but keep in mind of the file size.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglu
No I haven't - but I will.
I forgot to add though that I'm on Maya 2012 at work, and a license renewal isn't exactly on the table (even though we artists wants it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by refract
Make an asset, set it to 0,0,0 freeze xforms,.. go to master env and reference it.
then in the master env move it where you want.
Always make changes to asset, not in master env if possible for render layers etc..
.. and put proxy's.. such as vray, in the assets.. and reference them in with the asset if possible.
Later if problems come up, just import the reference but keep in mind of the file size.

That's what I have done: I froze both the ref and the proxy model - and they are in separate scenes.
In the parent/master env, I have referenced the child scene - and then added the proxy to it. But it sounds as if you want me to import the ref and the proxy at the same time? How would I do that? Because as it is now, I just click the reference and then the "add proxy reference file" -button. But that gives the proxy and the ref separate transform values (which I don't want). I want the proxy to be "locked" or "parented" to the ref - preferably so that you can't separate them by mistake. This is one of my problems.

The other is with the namespaces/naming convention. Maya adds so much JUNK to the ref/proxy names that they become hard to work with (see my first post for example). :(
I guess I could just script that away but that feels like one extra unnecessary step. Also, I'm not hired as a TA but as a 3D artist, so writing my own tools is not something I can do at work without hearing whine such as "I hope you are not scripting now, Martin" - "We have a deadline next week, Martin" -_-

Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

One of the problems has been solved:
In order for the proxy to "lock" to the reference model, it has to have exactly the same name and file structure as the reference model scene. That was not the case for me, but once I changed the name to be identical to the mesh in the ref scene, everything started working.

Now I just need to sort out the god damn clutter in the namespaces.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Hamburger
Expert
portfolio
Where is it?
Architectural Viz
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by refract
Later when problems come up, just import the reference but keep in mind of the file size.

Good tips.

One thing I've found but cant reproduce is that sometimes obejcts will loose shader assignments if you instance the reference around then group it. It doesn't fail 100% of the time, but when it does, references will all default to 0,0,0 and the whole scene becomes corrupt. Even Autodesk told me if you are going to instance references, group it, then reference around the scene to avoid this serious bug.

Just a heads up because it is the worst.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
We had a house on a project recently with lots of vray proxy's of trees and grass around the house. This was referenced into our master file, and the master had the terrain as its own reference, and other houses as their separate references... and you can also paint (spPaint) or place vray proxy's in the master,.. then select those and save them out as their own reference so its not in the master file. (though it will still render)
This keeps the master file size very low, and you can turn on selective pre load when opening the file depending upon the shot and what you need... And saving the master is extremely fast since its just kilobytes.
Do all the heavy work on individual assets of what you will be referencing.
Glad to be of help.

oh.. and there is a namespace fixer in maya 2012 and up,.. though I still can't figure out how to use it.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Yea I've found the namespace editor - good addition.
But what I can't understand is WHY am I FORCED to resolve name clashes?

For example:

Grandchild scene: One tree model named "palmTree"
Child scene: 5x references grandchild scenes - These I want to be named palmTree1, palmTree2, etc - but with references it seems that I am forced to resolve name clashes either by using namespaces or prefixes. I don't want either, I don't want to resolve clashes here, I WANT them to be named with a digit at the end.
Parent scene: Contains several child scenes (referenced) - here I want namespaces... so nothing special there.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread