Just Getting Started - Few Q's

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Just Getting Started - Few Q's

I am a social game developer and am trying to learn some ZBrush/Maya on the side... Mostly for fun! I normally contract 2d artists for art. My goals are quite simple. I want to create some game characters similar to the kind of thing you would see in the original Mario 64 (Nintendo 64). Modified bouncing spheres with eyes, walking mushrooms, etc...

After a day of working through the book "ZBrush 4 Sculpting for Games" by Manuel Scherer I am quite pleased with the results. I created this on my first day. Not exactly what I was aiming for, but I quickly realized I am going to be able to do exactly what I want with merely a month or two of practice.

Here are some things I am confused about... In Maya... I need to animate bounces and stuff and render to isometric eight directional movement sprite sheets. I have the camera set orthographic and when I set the angle of view the camera doesn't change? I need the view locked to proper 1yScale-2xScale isometric. Anyone know of a tutorial on how to generate isometric spritesheets out of Maya frames? There has got to be an addon or something to make this easier! Not sure how to export more than 1 frame at a time.

My second issue has to do with color. Objects exported from ZBrush lose all their colors. Should I just be modeling the poly's in zbrush and doing all materials/coloring in Maya? Or is there a way to export those? I wouldn't think the Maya renderer would have the information to render ZBrush materials.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Ok... I solved the camera angle problem. Mostly... See this post:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=7&t=1082230

I figured out how to render out multiple frames in a batch in Maya after a bunch of messing around, and I managed to create sprite-sheets by downloading the optional ContactSheets II plugin for photoshop CS5.

The only thing I am confused about at this moment is coloring/materials in Maya. When making something like eyes... Do I take multiple nurbs set to different materials and composite them together?

Or is there a way to actually "paint" a 3D object in Maya with gradients or something to form eyes on a sphere? I am doing simple near cartoon graphics at the scale shown above so I don't need much detail.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread