unrolling a coiled object

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
unrolling a coiled object

I need to create an animation of a coiled object that is unrolling. It's actually 4 long objects that are layered on top of each other; a flexible metallic grid, then a layer of paper, then another flexible metallic grid, then a final layer of paper. The whole thing is wound up into a coil; with the inner coil about 3/4" in diameter, and the outer coil about 2.5" in diameter. The coil has about 8 spiraled rings. The 4 layered objects are about 3/16" thick in total.

The coil has to unwind by rotating in place and the layers peeling off. So, not like a rug unrolling along the ground. More like a roll of wrapping paper on a stand, and you're pulling off a long sheet. The layers don't have to peel off individually, they can all pell of as a single unit.

I don't have to unroll the whole coil, only about the first 1 and a half layers. So I'm using a model of the inner 6 and a half layers, then adding the final 1 and a half layers as a straight object and trying to coil it around the inner model, so that I can then uncoil it in the animation.

I've tried using a bend deformer, which gets me in the ball park. But it won't wrap up the layers in a spiral. It wants to wrap them so that each successive layer occupies the same space as the previous layers, so that when it's done it looks like a roll with one layer.

Anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Ive seen something like this done in PFX, might be worth a look. Not a visor example but custom made.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Something like this?
https://vimeo.com/12456856

The person who did this might be available for information. I don't know, just thought I'd point it out.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I used this to unroll a banner once.
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...on/c/unroll-mel

You need a create spiral script to start with a uniform spiral curve. Not sure if that ships with Maya now or if it's a bonus tool.

Last edited by kyleb2112 : 11 November 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
see attached file
Attached Files
File Type: zip rollout.zip (7.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: zip rollout2.zip (18.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by f3rry : 11 November 2012 at 05:35 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Aikiman- Don't think this will work in PFX, I need to use geometry that I received from the client (CAD files), not geometry generated by PFX.

PozestStar- I was really hoping not to have to rig this whole thing with joints. Might have to though.

Kyleb2112- I already looked at that script. My understanding is that it only works on NURBS, all my geometry is polygonal.

Thanks

Old 11 November 2012   #7
f3rry-

I think that this may be my solution. But instead of the roll moving and the unwound end staying in place, I need the roll to stay in place and the unwound end to move away from the roll.

I think that if I move the roll in space, instead of the bend handle, I'll get the effect I'm looking for.

I'm gonna have to play around with it a bit. Is the -3.25 rotation of the bend handle in the Y axis what causes the roll to spiral, instead of just coil in a single layer?

Thanks a lot, this really helps.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
yes it is play around with it its very simple

Old 11 November 2012   #9
In bonus pack there's a coil tool. Not sure if you can animate it, might be worth checking it out.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread