Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
PeterSatera
portfolio
Peter Satera
Associate Lecturer
University of the West of Scotland
Renfrewshire, United Kingdom

How to select a material only in the layer visible

Hey there. I'm looking to select an object by it's surface to pull it apart. However, I only want to adjust the surface on the layer which is visible as the surface occurs on other layers I want to remain. Maya seems counter productive as it selects all of the surface, no matter what.

Has anyone figured out how to get around this?

Last edited by PeterSatera : 12-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

Render layers (I'm assuming) are designed to let you create different versions of objects/attributes in the same scene. They are not designed to create duplicate versions of the same objects.

If you want an object to be in different physical states in different layers (by "pull apart" I assume you mean breaking up the mesh), then you have to create a duplicate of that object in the other layer.

If nothing else is changing in the scene, then you don't actually need another layer. You can animate the visibility of the original object and the broken apart object to switch between them in the same layer.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
PeterSatera
portfolio
Peter Satera
Associate Lecturer

It was more than duplication and breaking apart. Say I have two objects object A and object B, both on different layers sharing the same material. Then I want to delete the material only from object b. How do I only select that material on object b without selecting a?

As i said, it's a very simple thing that works on every other 3D app i've used. Select by material on specific objects without selecting every model with that surface.

Last edited by PeterSatera : 12-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

Your terminology is a bit confusing.

In this sentence:
"Say I have two objects object A and object B, both on different layers sharing the same surface."

what exactly do you mean when you say "sharing the same surface"? Are you referring to their material?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
PeterSatera
portfolio
Peter Satera
Associate Lecturer

I apologize. Materials are called surfaces in lightwave, and I jump from one package to another. But yeah, material - my bad. (edited my post)

Last edited by PeterSatera : 12-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
eikonoklastes
Green

portfolio
eikonoklastes
USA

When you create a material in Maya, it exists across all Render Layers. If you create multiple layers with objects that use the same material, they're all referencing the same material node. Therefore, if you adjust any parameters on that node, they will update across all layers.

If you wish to make layer-specific adjustments, you need to first right-click a parameter and then choose "Create Layer Override". It will mark the parameter orange, which indicates that any change made to it will only affect the current layer.

You can override the same parameter on different layers, to have different settings. Parameters that are not overridden, will inherit their settings from the master layer.

Deleting the material node will delete it from the scene, and therefore from every layer. If you wish to "remove" the material from a specific layer, you should simply assign a different material to the object in that layer.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
PeterSatera
portfolio
Peter Satera
Associate Lecturer

Thanks, it's a very long winded way though just to select a surface on a specific layer. But thanks for the help.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikonoklastes
When you create a material in Maya, it exists across all Render Layers. If you create multiple layers with objects that use the same material, they're all referencing the same material node. Therefore, if you adjust any parameters on that node, they will update across all layers.

If you wish to make layer-specific adjustments, you need to first right-click a parameter and then choose "Create Layer Override". It will mark the parameter orange, which indicates that any change made to it will only affect the current layer.

You can override the same parameter on different layers, to have different settings. Parameters that are not overridden, will inherit their settings from the master layer.

Deleting the material node will delete it from the scene, and therefore from every layer. If you wish to "remove" the material from a specific layer, you should simply assign a different material to the object in that layer.

Excellent breakdown. I had to learn this the hard way when I first started using render layers. Not sure if op was talking about regular layers or not.

You can also right click on a material and it will give you the option to select objects with that material assigned.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
refract
Expert

portfolio
John John
Character modeling, Lighting, Compositing
Work
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via ICQ to refract Send a message via AIM to refract Send a message via MSN to refract Send a message via Yahoo to refract
And this is another reason why maya needs a MultiSubObject Material like in 3dsMax. Material assignments are essential on a per object basis.
(yes, I've submitted this to AutoEmptyDesk numerous times)

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

peter wrote me this little script... its selecting a material by object...

just select a face and get all faces selected with this material on the object...

Code:
import maya.cmds as mc # select object or face b = mc.ls(sl=1)[0].split("[")[0] # remember a token for comparison below mc.hyperShade(smn=1) # that will select the shader s = mc.ls(sl=1)[0] # remember the selected shader sg = mc.listConnections(s+".oc", s=0, d=1)[0] # figure out the shading group # select the faces of the same object with same shader attached l = [] for o in mc.sets(sg, q=1): if b not in o: continue l.append(o) mc.select(l)

Last edited by oglu : 04-17-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by refract
And this is another reason why maya needs a MultiSubObject Material like in 3dsMax. Material assignments are essential on a per object basis.
(yes, I've submitted this to AutoEmptyDesk numerous times)

for game assets multisub are great...

but for rendering i dont like them at all... every material should be its own object... if you have thousand of objects in your scene its much easier to controll them by scripts... face assignment will bring you in big trouble if you have to use several render layer and thousand of materials....

Last edited by oglu : 04-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread