Maya camera projection feedback

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Maya camera projection feedback

Hi All,
I have been playing around with projections in Maya and am looking for a little feedback on the shot so far, and how I should go about making this work properly. So far I have created the base geometry for the room and the door from a single camera image projection. As the animated camera flys down the hall, the parrallaxing of the door works nicely but when looking behind it from different angle, the image of course begins to stretch. Also you can clearly see the rest of the image stretching out over time. This i know is the constraints of what I am doing. I have heard of using more than one camera to project other angles, using another image to paint in the gaps but I am not sure how to go about this.

Do i take the image into Photoshop, paint out all the parralaxing objects, doors, windows frames, chair etc to give myself a flat plate, then use the original image with the objects in it
to project over the object geometry in the room, using two different projection cameras?
(If that makes sense?)

Also is baking textures on a method worth pursing? I'm not sure how to go about this as I am still working it all out. I just want to be able to make the movement as realistic as possible before I go play with the shot in Nuke. I have uploaded the shot to vimo for viewing.

https://vimeo.com/53524652

Many thanks for any advice I can get .

Tim

Last edited by timjj : 11 November 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Basically all you need to do is set up a second camera that views the area that the texture is stretching or missing (using duplicates of your shot camera at specific frames is often a good place to start patching from so that you are not doing more work than is needed), and render out a frame. You then take this frame into photoshop and paint up all the areas that aren't working, and save this bit of patching back out with an alpha. You can then project this patch back on to the geo using a layered shader. When you render from the shot cam now it should work a lot better and you can keep adding new projection cameras and patching bits in to your hearts content

Hope it helps!

N

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Greetings from a fellow Melbournian,

I think it's looking pretty good so far. The multiple projections will work fine. If you Bake the image onto the geometry with nice UVs, the painting process might be easier, you will not need to worry about layered shaders.

The main thing that stretched out for me was the upturned chair on the ground. It might be easiest to just paint it out completely, or project the image onto chair geometry and fill in the gaps.

Not sure if you have seen this before, but it's a great series of videos on the most extreme camera projection job i've ever seen:

http://www.deathfall.com/forums/con...y-and-HDRI-PTex

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Thanks for the great info guys. Good to hear from a local Melbourne man too! (well sorta, im in UK now trying to break into Roto )

I will try putting what you guys have said to good use. So far I have gone and started painting out most of the scene stretch issues such as the chair, books, door opening and open window frames. I think a clean slate will help me in the end. I think I might also replace the chair altogether. Building an actual chair to put in the scene as similar to the original as I can, not to mention that left side wall which most of is missing.

I have never worked with the Layer shader before so I will go check out some tutorials to get this working along with some baking tuts as well. Does a layer shader allow you to have one face of the geometry excluded from say the front projection camera and allow you to link a side projection camera to it? I am still in a Lightwave mentality annoyingly, so I apologise if its ridiculous question.

By the way Michael, that link you sent me to is insane. Really interesting to see what is possible.. and heres me struggling with one camera! haha.

Thanks again guys, will update with progress as I go along.

Tim

Last edited by timjj : 11 November 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread