CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
Auckland, New Zealand
Mental Ray Materials not Rendering

Hey im working on a project at the moment and I've gotten to the point where I am applying the mi_car_paint_phen material to my ship but when I try render an image after applying the texture the component it was applied to just disappears along with the material. Ive checked that mental ray activated in the plugin manager so that isnt the problem. I should also note that the components show up fine in the render when a material that isnt mental ray is applied such as a lambert,blinn, etc. I cant find anyone else on the internet with the same problem as me so I thought I would try here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

heres a pic of whats happening:

Last edited by Seithr : 11-13-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Panupat Chong
Originally Posted by Seithr
Ive checked that mental ray activated in the plugin manager so that isnt the problem.

You have to choose it as your render engine in the render globals too. Or in the render view.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jrda3sl7.jpg (62.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Madness. Madness, I say!
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA
(Edit) Sorry, I misread the problem! Yep, gotta have mental ray set as your renderer first, for certain...

Are you applying them directly to the model itself? What's your Shading Group's connections look like?

Here's an example. I generally use a Maya material for the basic (viewport) shader, and then have the mental ray materials override ("Suppress all Maya Shaders") at rendertime:

So all the nodes between the mia_mat_x and the Maya material (a Blinn, Lambert, etc. usually) would be the same and connected; updating or switching the file texture nodes's source file for example would update both shaders.

But even if you don't use a native Maya shader for your Surface material, you need your mia_mat_x in the Material Shader and Shadow slots, and Photon slots obviously if you're using GI or caustics.
Commodore 64 @ 1MHz
1541 Floppy Drive

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Auckland, New Zealand
Cheers for the replies, i changed the renderer in the settings to mental ray instead of maya and it did the trick!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread